Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel issue on steep decline driveway?

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Within a fuel tank is a saucepan sized container called a swirl pot. Your fuel pump sits inside of it and fuel is drawn from the base of pump ,sent to injectors and the left over is returned to the swirl pot via the return line. This keeps pot full to brim at all times regardless of fuel level in tank. It is common in older commodores for the return line to fall off swirl pot connection to pot causing returned fuel to go straight into tank not pot. This leaves pot at actual tank level not full to brim. This means acceleration, cornering,steep angles causes fuel to move away from pump pick up and suck air or cause pump to overheat as pump must be submerged to stay cool. Above half a tank is above top of fuel pot and stops issue happening as pot is then full. This is 98% of the time the issue,keep tank half full until repaired and no issues should continue. Monster was great because ha actually knew what he was talking about.
Are you monstar's new alter ego?

HSVBMW

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh vn vt
Ha ha,no i am not Monster! yes vf has no return line but principle the same. Swirl must be full,though on ve,vf it is part of the pump now. The white plastic cylinder forms the pot. It still needs to be full so i would be looking at where it draws fuel in as source of issue. My explanation of the old commodore issues was for op to visulize the process.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Ha ha,no i am not Monster! yes vf has no return line but principle the same. Swirl must be full,though on ve,vf it is part of the pump now. The white plastic cylinder forms the pot. It still needs to be full so i would be looking at where it draws fuel in as source of issue. My explanation of the old commodore issues was for op to visulize the process.
OK I got the idea since you seemed to have a depth of empirical knowledge. Should have twigged when you didn't use phrases like "Reason being" and kept the post below half a page.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
you sir have a great Australian made vehicle
I VN wagon has more street cred than any other holden built post 1989

Thanks,just noticed your Post.I've liked VN's ever since i got a Taxi from Sydney Airport to attend a Repco Conference in 1989 in one although the Taxi driver didn't like it,he preferred the Falcon.
I purchased a year old 89 model in 1990,only cost 13,000,they were going thru the Auctions cheap at that time.Main problem was a noisy motor,esp. when cold,it turned out it was the lifters but very off putting.
It turned out the previous owner was a Surfer and it developed rust under the roof rack bars so i let it go. I missed it so purchased a 1991 model in 1999 and have used it as a second car ever since and is still going strong although it now has a VP 11 motor in it.
Anyway a bit of a OT waffle but its good someone else appreciate them as they copped a lot of flack when they were first released.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I have a VN wagon and if you get down to around a quarter tank or less you can't park it on a severe left hand slope,just won't start,pickup must be in the RHS of the tank.

Similar to in the VL, when the tank was empty enough and you took a u turn too fast you'd get a slight stumble from the motor.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
How steep is the driveway? Given the shape of the tank it may be filling the rear section of the tank and starving the pump.
N756.jpg

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
How steep is the driveway? Given the shape of the tank it may be filling the rear section of the tank and starving the pump.View attachment 202446
The driveway is a little steep, not sure the exact degree of it though. You say it might be filling the rear section of the tank, but which part is classed as the rear section? The nose is pointing down, so shouldn't it be filling the front section of the tank with all the fuel moving towards the front of the tank?

Put my phone on the driveway and it said 8 degrees, it's definitely a lot steeper than that.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Oh it's nose down, then yes the pump should be fully submerged.