Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gearbox noises

Dover1123

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ S Ute
Afternoon all,

Have noticed that my 05 S Ute is making loud changing noises when you are changing from first to second and vice versa. Its more than likely doing the same in higher gears, but cant hear for road noise.

It sounds as though the changers are making excessive noise. Any hints before it goes back to the dealer?

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
check fluid?

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
mine clunks when itchnges from 2nd to first when it is slowing down. ivr said it before and ill say it again, the current 4 speed auto in commodores is a piece of ****. they should have replaced ityears ago.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Take it to warranty I reckon, is there a dipstick for manual trans?

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
No dipstick holden007. Not sure if this is the five or six speed box - if it's the six speed, apparently it's a sealed unit. (so I'm told anyhow...)

Dover, get it back to the dealer and jump up and down. I had my gearbox replaced (SV6 M6) - a slightly different issue, I had trouble selecting second at all. Would often jump out of gear, if in fact it engaged. It "felt" very vague in the second gear position, either up or downshifting - almost as if a selector fork had become bent or something - not linking the synchros correctly.

Anyhow, went to the dealer (after doing a little research and finding out it's a known problem) and made a bit of noise. Once you point out the them that you're talking with other members of a Commodore community about the little foibles the factory doesn't want you to know about, they realise that you can also use that community to highlight bad service and shonky warranty. Go fer it Mate! ;)

Cheerz.