Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gearbox, To Change or Not To Change?

ModySLR

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lumina S / Commodore SV6
Hi everyone.

I have a Chevrolet Lumina S (Holden Commodore SV6 - but it's really an Omega with SV6 kit, the wheels even at 17"), not modified in any way (In stock - Factory specs)

I just had a gearbox issue this afternoon. The thing is I was driving with the speed limiter on at (110 Km/H). I had to slow down to about (20 Km/H) for traffic. Then I gentely accelerated to about (70 Km/H) when I twisted the Cruise Control stick to let the car finish accelerating to (110 Km/H) by itself like I normally do. The weirdest thing happened when the engine revved to 6000 Rpm and the gearbox trying "I think!" to hit first gear. I stopped it immediately by putting it to neutural. After that, when I started putting my foot down to accelerate "gentely", I hear a knocking sound from the gearbox. I noticed that it knocks only on 1st, 3nd, and Reverse. I went to a mechanic and he told me that I've had it. I have to change the gearbox.

Now, I have two questions. First, is it true what he said? Second, Do I have to stick to the same 4 speed Auto gearbox that I had, or can I go for the 5 speed Auto-Manual? and if I can, do I have to tune something?