Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Geek2.0's VP Berlina

Geek2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 3.8L
Sorry mate still no pics :p
My new phone screen was meant to arrive today, so hopefully it will come tomorrow and i can snap some pics!

What did arrive today was my rare spares shipment, 2 front indicators, antena bezzle, rear window mould, front window mould and abonnet bumper kit. Now that the rubbers arrived i called the windscreen dude and they are coming on thursday!
Also went and bought all new high quality phillips globes for the new headlights, cost a small fortune!
Sprayed some "Chrome" on the 1/4 window surrounds, ill see how they look. It will look better than before, but its sure as hell not chrome haha
Then i started polishing! I think i need some 1200ish grit wet, 1500 was very slow going with the amount of dry spray i had to remove, i did get the small panel under the tailight polished beautifully, looks like a blue mirror! Hopefully the rest of the car will come up the same! I really didnt like cutting with the RO (1500 grit paper), it felt uncontrolled and i couldnt see how far i had got.

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP Senator, VY SS Crewman
All good about the pics i will eagerly await them..... lol

i read somewhere if you start with 1200 wet and dry on a rubber block, then once it feels smooth then continue with 1500 and finally finish with 2000 and then polish. Takes a while but the result will be worth it. i have done panels before but never a full car. That same method is what I used on the panels that i have done and they came up really well.
I will see if i can find some pics of the panels that i done.

Cheers

Geek2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 3.8L
Okay, finally installed my new screen, so pics!

My phone wasn't the only one getting a new a screen!

2014-09-11 15.54.04.jpg2014-09-11 15.53.55.jpg

I had read lots of good reviews of a small local mob called Aussie Windscreens, they were very understanding about the delays of the rubbers, and were fast and well priced, nice blokes and i can't fault there work!

Here's what the bumpers look like off the gun:

2014-09-11 15.55.18.jpg2014-09-11 15.54.43.jpg

And this section of the boot got another coat of clear with the good aircap (because like an idiot i scratched the fresh paint!), you can clearly see the difference in gloss between the two air caps.

2014-09-11 15.53.23.jpg

I tested my theory of a dud air cap on a spare door, sure enough the top coat guns aircap gave much rougher results.

I painted the sunburnt 1/4 windows black and sprayed some "Chrome" on the strip, colour looks good but its not glossy enough for chrome. I have to redo them anyway (tarp blew into the wet paint) so i think i might put some clear over the "Chrome" paint.

2014-09-11 17.09.53.jpg2014-09-11 17.09.59.jpg

Then the polishing began! At this stage im not going for perfection (in fear of going too far).

2014-09-11 16.57.22.jpg2014-09-11 16.32.01.jpg2014-09-11 15.53.41.jpg

Rear 1/4 is polished, door is off the gun.

2014-09-11 16.58.33.jpg

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
well done mate.... :beer chug:

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP Senator, VY SS Crewman
Awesome mate job well done !!

if I can get mine to come out like that I will be wrapped, although mine is white so wont have quite the same effect.

Although the senator will be a different story as its factory colour is cardinal red.

Cheers :beer chug:

VN_SS_CM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
love this thread.....I gave mine a home job respray aswell feels good to know you have done it yourself.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
well done sir. polishing will piss you off allot and take you longer than you think. but don't stop till you're happy. because after this you won't want to touch it for a long time.

also your acrylic will hold out allot better if you keep the car garaged.

Geek2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 3.8L
Cheers for all the kind words folks! Its nice to see that people are interested!

Parking in the garage is difficult, our driveway is only wide enough for one car. We have two cars and the falcon stays at home all day. So to park mine in the garage would mean moving the falcon around every single morning when i leave and putting it away again at night. Both cars get parked under a shade cloth car port and are sheltered by the house. At the end of the day its not an amazing paint job and if it degrades and I end up having to redo it in a few years so be it.

I'm getting very close to getting the car on the road! Keen as anything to drive it again!
Everything but the roof has been wet sanded, and everything but the bonnet and the roof have been polished. At this stage im not going for perfection, there is still alot of texture. For now i just need the car back on the road.

2014-09-15 18.48.57.jpg2014-09-15 17.50.33.jpg2014-09-13 19.31.38.jpg2014-09-13 19.23.33.jpg

I stuffed up my masking a bit and got blue paint on the black B pillar covers, so i wet sanded that out and then gave them a polish. Came up looking tops!

2014-09-15 13.03.40.jpg

I also re did the chrome today, did the rear 1/4 windows and the roof drip mold thingo. I tried to put clear coat over the chrome to make it look better but the clear melted the chrome paint hahah.
Tomorrow i need to finish the polishing and hopefully I'll get some help to put the bumpers back on, then its just a case of re-installing the lights and trim.

Its been an interesting week, a couple of weeks back i got lent an XF falcon ute (lurking in the background of the pics above). No PS, 3 on the tree, 3 seater bench, carby. Bloody love it. It's playing up though. It started misfiring at idle and then started stalling, it got so bad it would stall when i put the clutch in to shift. I replaced the fuel filter that was total clogged (and like 4 bucks haha) and the air filter and also fixed 4 vacuum leaks. That improved it but its still acting up. I can still hear a vacuum leak and its still missing and stalling sometimes. I think now its only stalling when the rev down (from the vacuum leak) and a misfire occur simultaneously. The leads are stamped 1988 and the spark plugs are the blackest (dry soot) I've ever seen. Aren't old cars fun.