Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Getting Fault Code 7e8 and 7ea

Kryptic12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
Hi guys,

My ve commodore recently overheated and went into limp mode. I managed to get it home in limp mode but I think something else has gone wrong in the process.

I've just replaced the thermostat and coolant and bled the system as well so I think the cooling system is all good, but when I took it for a drive the engine light came back on when going up a hill. Also it feels like it's shuddering when you give it some gas, but smooth acceleration seems to be fine. Only seems to happen when there is heavy load, which is why the engine light came back on when going up the hill.

My initial thought was that it's just a misfire and I need to replace the coil packs and spark plugs, after googling the codes no one else is sugggesting that it might be the coil packs.

I'm getting fault code 7e8 and 7ea when I connect my scan tool. Does anyone know what these code would be for? I've seen a lot of different answers so not really sure what the problem might be.

Would really appreciate your help.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
they are not fault codes
that is an incompatible/cheap scan tool
scan tools should show a letter then 4 or 5 digit code
drop into an auto parts store and have them scan for you
take a photo of the screen as you might not be able to remember exactly what codes said
see these posts, you may need to click on the code for more info
after reading these posts, it seems 7e8 and 7ea are telling you there are 2 engine codes,
can you select engine codes only instead of whole vehicle

Last edited:

Kryptic12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
I took another look at my scan tool and there was another menu which showed me the correct error codes. I'm seeing three code which are p0300, p0301 and p0303 which seem to be a misfire in cylinder 1 and 3.

I'm guessing the when it overheated, it messed up the coil pack for those cylinders, hoping thats all it is.

I'll try swapping them around and see what error codes I get, I'm expecting them to be different.

thanks a lot!

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
My ve commodore recently overheated and went into limp mode. I managed to get it home in limp mode but I think something else has gone wrong in the process.
Was it still overheating when you drove it home or did you get the temperature back down for the drive home? Overheating can do some serious damage to an engine so if it was driven for an extended period of time while overheating it might have suffered mechanical damage.

Kryptic12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
Was it still overheating when you drove it home or did you get the temperature back down for the drive home? Overheating can do some serious damage to an engine so if it was driven for an extended period of time while overheating it might have suffered mechanical damage.
I had stopped on the side of the road and waited for a while to let it cool down. I just swapped the ignition coils around and now it's driving fine. I will be replacing the spark plugs though as I saw some signs of cracking on them. Not sure how the misfire dissapeared though

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
Bad Injectors can cause missfirre.
Check the Injectors resistance. They should be around 11 to 14 ohms.

YT-OG

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv 2009 6.0litre
I had someone put there scanner on my car and he gave me the same readings 07EA, O7EA.. Couldn't work out what it meant,, I'm hoping it will be the same problem as yours just a coil pack. It has major missfire and almost sound like engine knock as you start increasing the rpm then it goes away.???

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
I had someone put there scanner on my car and he gave me the same readings 07EA, O7EA.. Couldn't work out what it meant,, I'm hoping it will be the same problem as yours
those codes are the headings, scan the ecu for the actual codes