Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Goodbye... Holden :(

Zehq

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SV6 Black
Not a surprise the Commodore Car Company gets axed when it stops selling Commodore's.

Just had to get my blacks as the Commodore goes. At least y'all got to have Commodore's while they were still in production.

Sad day for all Australian's.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Not a surprise the Commodore Car Company gets axed when it stops selling Commodore's.

Just had to get my blacks as the Commodore goes. At least y'all got to have Commodore's while they were still in production.

Sad day for all Australian's.

There'll be plenty of low km commodores around for a while mate. Next best thing to buying new, just a question of the depth of your pockets in years to come.

Zehq

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SV6 Black
There'll be plenty of low km commodores around for a while mate. Next best thing to buying new, just a question of the depth of your pockets in years to come.

Yeah exactly. Debating if I wait a year or two and upgrade from VE2 SSVR to VF2 SSVR or do it sooner. As you said it's question of how it'll be in the next few years.

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
An extremely sad day, but in reality Holden died for me when local manufacturing ended. Everything since has been like watching a slow motion train wreck, so it is probably for the best that they put the brand out of its misery.
I blame the yanks for their sheer mismanagement and monumental incompetence for driving a once thriving company into the dirt.

RIP Holden.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Has been expected for years.
Lets face it, what is there to sell in Australia from the GM range that YOU would buy?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I was alluding to the question of whether they intend to proceed with manufacturing them at all.

I'd suggest they will not make a factory RHD Corvette and if it is made available locally, will be locally converted and probably approaching $200k.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Debating if I wait a year or two and upgrade from VE2 SSVR to VF2 SSVR or do it sooner.

Do it sooner mate, the newer the better.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'd suggest they will not make a factory RHD Corvette and if it is made available locally, will be locally converted and probably approaching $200k.

They will still make it, been that the car is mid engine, swapping steering and driver controls is fairly straight forward with nothing in the front getting in the way.

Overwatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 ZB Commodore RS 6Cyl AWD
I blame the yanks for their sheer mismanagement and monumental incompetence for driving a once thriving company into the dirt.

As an American living in Australia who has been driving Commodores for more than 15 years, I can assure you that there were a lot more factors that contributed to Holden's demise than just General Motor's parenting skills. Your car industry was heavily subsidized by government up until a few years ago, effectively creating a bubble that burst when the Government decided to stop subsidizing the industry. Car production costs in Australia are/were some of the most expensive in the industrialized world, thanks to your unions. But really, the main cause is Australians voted with their wallets these last few years and were not buying Holdens in volumes that would justify a GM presence. You have a very small car market in Australia that does not justify a GM subsidiary. If you want to blame someone, blame yourselves.

Lets face it, what is there to sell in Australia from the GM range that YOU would buy?
At the risk of being tarred and feathered, I have said it before and I will say it again, the current ZB Commodore is the best Commodore ever sold. Anyone who say's it's not a real Commodore has either not driven one or is just being a subjective fanboy. And your sentiment is exactly the reason why GM has closed shop here. If you don't buy the products, don't expect the store to remain open.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
So this will also sound the death knell for the V8 Supercars competition as well or are we going to see Toyota Prius' silently sprinting around race circuits ?