Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Grinding when turning right and reversing since Pacemaker install

WL2005HBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 WL Statesman HBD
Hey everyone,

Just had my pacemakers and aftermarket cats installed in my WL.
I know the right side is a bitch to get in and the mechanic had a bit of trouble getting it out/in.

Anyway, SHOULD'VE test driven it after finished, but I didn't coz I held them back 2 hours after close to finish lol.
I'm going to take it back, but is what I'm about to describe bad?:

Whenever I turn right, or reverse, there's a dull grind/rattle, and when I reverse, that goes through the whole car.
I think it's the steering arm hitting the extractor. Very bad, or can I leave it say a week?

Thanks

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
no i wouldn't, some sharp bits on the steering there (bolts, nuts, corner of steering arm etc, could turn into hole real quick (why didnt you bring it back-lose warranty etc) overheat steering causing damage/failure not good if you are driving

WL2005HBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 WL Statesman HBD
Turns out its actually the drivers side secondary pipe (just near the cats) rubbing against my transmission crossmember. Seems certain RPM has a resonating frequency that makes it tap against it, loudly and hard.

Should exhaust wrap do the trick in creating a cushion between the surfaces?

WL2005HBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 WL Statesman HBD
and I didn't bring it back, because as I said, I held them back 2 hours after close, left at 7pm, and was about 5 minutes down the road when I noticed the noise. If I'd turned back, they'd be long closed.

I'll go back soon, they're welding my tips and doing a trans service. Only reason I want to know if I leave it if it's going to hurt is because the car goes to the panel beaters for the weekend starting 9:30am today

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Turns out its actually the drivers side secondary pipe (just near the cats) rubbing against my transmission crossmember. Seems certain RPM has a resonating frequency that makes it tap against it, loudly and hard.

Should exhaust wrap do the trick in creating a cushion between the surfaces?

May be in their haste to fit the extractors, they forgot to connect an exhaust mount or two.
Crawl under the car and make sure all the mounts are put on.

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
I,d say they were in a big rush to get the job done to go home,so there quality of workmanship was left in the smoko room.

Mate if they sent you on your way like that ,I certainly wouldnt be letting them touch the trans
And DONT THINK for one minute IT IS YOUR FAULT in holding them back,If they knew they wernt gunna have it done by knock-off they should of told you to come back tomorrow and pick it up or re book a earlier time to allow it to be done CORRECTLY and with some PRIDE in their work

WL2005HBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 WL Statesman HBD
There aren't any mounts, I already had a cat back in that didn't require reinstallation

It's one of the secondaries hitting the trans crossmember, the design of these hi flows is bad and one side is slightly shorter, so I'm gonna wrap it in exhaust wrap, to eliminate the gap.

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
Get it sorted out properly mate,just wrapping it might muffle the noise, but the fact is it is still touching, only you cant hear it.You paid good money for these get them to sort it out as well as the engine light,If it was one of their cars they wouldnt settle for anything less and neither should you,
Cheers bud

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I've never had Pacemakers touch, unusual. The shape of the cat pipes are probably pulling them over. If you undo that side I bet the extractors will spring back. Not a good long term thing, the gaskets will continually blow as there is not even pressure on the flanges.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Not only that you will risk cracking the welds if too much tension is against it and also damaging other components