Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Grounding Point for Amps in the VE

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
Hello peoples,

Just wondering where most people who have an amp (or 2) in their boot ground their amps. I have chosen to use the seat backrest bolts but not sure if this is a good place to do it or not.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Any point which is sanded back to bare metal will suffice. Make sure you use a good solid bolt and tightly crimped lugs on the ground cable(s)

itsArthurKomar

sexy beast
Reaction score
Members Ride
super awesome time machine
y do people even think of groundin the amps on the chasis in a ve? theres a battery literaly 1 meter away from it ####

raff

Reaction score
Members Ride
Brunette, 5-10', 10D's, great personality
The recommendation is always to have the earth as short as possible, preferably less than 30cm to, as said above, a sanded back clean bolt, screw or nut. Saying that, I mounted my amps in the well wheel and ran my 0g ground back to the battery at a length of around 70cm and have had no issues with noise or performance. Dealers choice. What ever you add in ground cable from amp/s to chassis .ie 0g or 2x 4g I would add to the earth of the battery to chassis for peace of mind.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
The recommendation is always to have the earth as short as possible, preferably less than 30cm to, as said above, a sanded back clean bolt, screw or nut. Saying that, I mounted my amps in the well wheel and ran my 0g ground back to the battery at a length of around 70cm and have had no issues with noise or performance. Dealers choice. What ever you add in ground cable from amp/s to chassis .ie 0g or 2x 4g I would add to the earth of the battery to chassis for peace of mind.
People say that the ground cable should be as short as possible but I don't see why. As long as the ground cable is adequate size for the current it will be flowing then it can be the length of the whole car, if you wanted. Grounding to the chassis is just done to save money on cable.

Last edited:

itsArthurKomar

sexy beast
Reaction score
Members Ride
super awesome time machine
People say that the ground cable should be as short as possible but I don't see why. As long as the ground cable is adequate size for the current it will be flowing then it can be the length of the whole car, if you wanted. Grounding to the chassis is just done to save money on cable.
yeah i know that but just if u got a ve y not just spend that xtra money on some extra leng insted of sanding back the paint and leaving it open for rusting and corrosion .... lol

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
yeah i know that but just if u got a ve y not just spend that xtra money on some extra leng insted of sanding back the paint and leaving it open for rusting and corrosion .... lol
I was the person who said ground directly to the battery and my comment you quoted is supporting that too :hmmm:

raff

Reaction score
Members Ride
Brunette, 5-10', 10D's, great personality
I dont think a short ground is to save money! It generally is to prevent the chance of noise into the system. The longer the ground run the more resistance and more possibility that it could draw interference from other power source or devices within the car, the same concept as keeping RCA length as short as possible. More than likely it may make little difference but saving money on cable and less chance of noise is a win win.

And regarding sanding back to bare metal and corrosion, I always paint a metal primer over the small area sanded back once the bolt/screws and cable have been connected. Takes two seconds!