Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has anyone attempted a auto service on VF or WN without a dip stick

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
The ryco gasket is fine, it's what I've got on at the moment and no leaks at all.

When you say 1.7L out of the check level bolt, how much was there sitting in the pan too? You gotta calculate it that way assuming you emptied the pan.

If you didnt empty the pan, then adding the 2.4L means it is overfull and it will just drain out when the car is on and you take off the bolt. Put the bolt back in when it slows.
Make sure not to remove the bolt when the car is off as it will dump too much fluid.
Yes I agree.
My daughter typing. Shes faster than me.
To start with the car is level (perfect) like its on a level road or better still, my garage. Ive taken the bolt out (old oil) and 1.7L came out until it was trickling. Now i go through the process of cleaning everything and putting the pan back on. Remember the bolt is out, I start filling the pan until it trickles through the hole again (new oil approx 3.2L until it started to come out of the hole). I put the plug back in then added 1.7L of new oil. Now by this it should be exactly the same as before I started the process of servicing the auto but what I found this morning: I ran the car through the gears for the second time (remember I did it yesterday too) and towards 35 degrees and I took the plug out from the bottom (no oil came out). By all means, the auto must have been under filled originally. I will give you some pics. Today in Brisbane it is a warm day, a very warm day for October. When i started the computer and connected to the Elm Street program and everything was selected the temperature was 30 degrees c just to start with so I had to wait until it climbed slowly from 30 degrees to 35 degrees and I even waited until it flickered to 36 degrees then I pulled the plug out. Once again, no oil came out. I will wait for the car to cool down for a few hours then add a litre then start the process again. Lets see what happens.

Photo below: Shows you how paranoid OCD i am. The level is exactly what where the car is on the garage floor. Also the monro has to be in the picture just to tease some of you guys. LOL.

Photo below: Shows the computer program and the transmission temperature that is 35 degrees celcius.

Photo below: Is a distance shot on what I am doing.

Last edited:

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Yep sounds right. Just fill her up until it trickles out between 30-50 (vehicle MUST be on, even if fluid temp is reached). Must have been underfilled.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Must have been underfilled.
Yes totally agree with you.
Now the question I would like to know is If you drive a car a VF or WN and get the Auto services on any day and in Brisbane today its 30 deg C + so when you get to the auto service mob the auto is around 80 - 85 deg C and it will take you 4 hours too cool (remember I tested this two weeks ago) 4 hours too cool around 30 degrees C so what give ? they must be fudging the figures in the temp and if so they are disgraceful for this because they will under fill the gearbox or if they take a guess they will over fill it.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
(vehicle MUST be on, even if fluid temp is reached). Must have been underfilled.
Yes Engine running then I take the bolt out. Now I will re test at 4 PM, If not not in a hurry as there is all way tomorrow

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
When l did my 6l50, l put the level on the bottom of the pan, not the car.
No idea if l'm right or wrong. But it worked for me.
Yes I did it the same as the car has its a.rse up a little like most VF are or even my VE Anniversity is the same so I simulate it to be the same. My Caprice is on the Ramps on the front, The rear is on Shimmed Stands on the tile floor on the lartge bolt that I think is one of suspension points so by adding 3mm ply under the stand on the rear I can get exactly what the car is on the floor normally.. Normal Service of the auto is done whilst you drive on the hoist so lets simulate this.

I will go under the car now and take my Spirit level with me. Let you now in a few seconds

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
When l did my 6l50, l put the level on the bottom of the pan, not the car.
No idea if l'm right or wrong. But it worked for me.
Tested now: Ievel on the bottom of the pan is pretty much the same as when on the sill on the front door sill. Its Very Very Close. only about a pencil mark off towards the car being 100% level.

Reactions: Lex