Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has anyone attempted a auto service on VF or WN without a dip stick

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
The trans doesn't need to come out for the mod.

Temperature wise, fill the tranny between the temperature of 30 c & 50 c.
If you haven't filled it by 50 c, stop & wait till the temp drops below 50 c.

If changing the fluid every 150 000 km. Your tranny wont go the distance.
Change every 30 k - 50 k & it will last.

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yes the fluid expands quite a lot as it heats up, that is the reason why the fluid level must be set within the nominated temperature range.

Reactions: Lex

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If only there was a dipstick with multiple thermochromic coatings that are normally clear but changes colour to black when the temperature is within a set range. With careful material property selection, you could have three durable temperature dependant scales on the end of the dipstick. That way, all the owner would see is a fluid level scale that is proportional to the fluid’s temperature.

As such, an owner wouldn’t need to do anything more than pull the dipstick, wipe, reinsert and pull out to read the level. The temperature dependant scale takes care of fluid expansion issues.

Unfortunately I’ve not heard of any manufacturer using such a dipstick as their preference is in getting you into the service department as a solution to all maintenance aspects.....

If I was a cleaver material scientist, I’d develop such durable themochromic coatings and spruke them to the motor vehicle manufacturers. Sadly, they’d probably say no thanks cause gearboxes are sealed for life :eek:

So for now it seems that the DIY go to method is an OBD plug and an android/iOS app that can read auto trans fluid ;)

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Come to think of it I wont do this because to service the 6L80 E every 150,000 k's,,,,,,, for a service ,,,,,Well it will take me 20 years to do 10,000 ks and probly be dead by the time I get to the Next 10,000 ks
But if you did you’ll leave a well looked after, perfectly service vehicle behind... please think of the next owner :p

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
But if you did you’ll leave a well looked after, perfectly service vehicle behind... please think of the next owner :p
For me I over service everything and I would like to service the 6L80 E every month and done only 6 ks. Hell, I had the Car now for 4 months and done only about 150 k's. Just bough a set of Genuine AC Delco leads and Plugs, No need to change but I will change same goes for the DOD filter and I got a New DOD Filter and a New AC Delco sensor.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
I heard in the US with the 6L80 E they get them up to temperature and open the drain off plug let excess come out then close it again and add a quart on top. Yes they do this when Drag Racing using the 6L80 E.

I have to check the Nominal Temperature range so I can (If I do it myself) release the plug down the Bottom
What do you think guys?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
If only there was a dipstick with multiple thermochromic coatings that are normally clear but changes colour to black when the temperature is within a set range. With careful material property selection, you could have three durable temperature dependant scales on the end of the dipstick. That way, all the owner would see is a fluid level scale that is proportional to the fluid’s temperature.

As such, an owner wouldn’t need to do anything more than pull the dipstick, wipe, reinsert and pull out to read the level. The temperature dependant scale takes care of fluid expansion issues.

Unfortunately I’ve not heard of any manufacturer using such a dipstick as their preference is in getting you into the service department as a solution to all maintenance aspects.....

If I was a cleaver material scientist, I’d develop such durable themochromic coatings and spruke them to the motor vehicle manufacturers. Sadly, they’d probably say no thanks cause gearboxes are sealed for life :eek:

So for now it seems that the DIY go to method is an OBD plug and an android/iOS app that can read auto trans fluid ;)
You are forgetting the bit where manufacturers make things deliberately increasingly harder to service/repair so you go back to them :)

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
You are forgetting the bit where manufacturers make things deliberately increasingly harder to service/repair so you go back to them :)
Not forgetting anything as I’m, well aware of how manufacturers operate, headlight globes being a great example...

In fact I made a related comment in my post, which I’ve now edited to set in bold type, repeated below..

... Unfortunately I’ve not heard of any manufacturer using such a dipstick as their preference is in getting you into the service department as a solution to all maintenance aspects.....

... they’d probably say no thanks cause gearboxes are sealed for life :eek:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Last edited: