Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has anyone cammed their VF series 2 yet?

OzTurtle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Redline
Hey Richo;

I went the auto purely as it's a daily driver which means horrendous Melbourne peak hour traffic, and the paddles work pretty well when the road opens a bit. If it was a weekender then I would have stuck with a manual.
It's funny how when you look for an issue (crap auto trans tune), you see it everywhere! This is the first auto I've had in years, and as the Walkinshaw tune was done prior to delivery I figured that's just how it is. So on top of having the cam, I'm also now looking forward to an improvement in the shifts.

SS Flo Rida

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series II SS W375
Will do mate, I'm surprised your Walkinshaw tune was that bad, but I'm guessing they have a generic flash tune that goes into everything, rather than individually tuning each car, and it would be on the safe side to retain "warranty". My Redline had the W375 fitted prior to delivery so can't guage any difference the standard tune makes to theirs, but Harrop will also do a trans tune to get it all running spot on. I'll post results once done.

Is your auto or manual oz turtle? Ive got a manual with the W375 on it keen as to get a cam upgrade!

Walkinshaw don't dyno their cars do they?
Its not surprising you got a better result with a real tune.

Yeah they dyno'd mine after the standard w375 tune was flashed in by Holden pre-delivery. They got an extra 5 rwkw out of it. Then some months after a took it back and paid for an auto tune as they don't touch those maps with the W package. That's when they botched it

OzTurtle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Redline
Ah, so the normal W375 pack doesn't touch the trans shift points at all? More so when you took it back and asked for it. Either way I double checked with Harrop that they will also do a proper trans tune with the cam when I dropped it in this morning. Can't wait for tomorrow afternoon!!!!!!!

OzTurtle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Redline
Just received a call from Harrop, they need my car another day while waiting for a MAFless conversion kit to arrive for the VCM OTR that Walkinshaw use. But I'll be stuck at work, so can't collect my car till Thursday . At least everything will be done right, and they can do some cold start testing before I pick her up.

Last edited:

SS Flo Rida

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series II SS W375
Nope, no dyno tuning. A preset flash tune.

FWIW I had my VF1 tuned by WSM (via Tekno) and 100% happy both times. The first time was at ~1,000km for a bolt-on tune and it made 350rwhp/265rwkw, the second time at ~6800km for the 232/234 114 cam and it made 440rwhp/330rwkw. The cam tune was a bit shitty on cold start on real cold mornings for a week or two but now it seems to have learnt the fuel trims and now I don't have ANY issues, surging, hunting, none of it on cold start now.

I'll be sending my VY to WSM to get tuned next time I get it done. It's currently got a Powertorque tune on it (not Walkinshaw) and not very happy with the auto tune. Incidentally I've driven a few W310 packs and the auto tune on those is no good either. Bangs between gears, indecisive, won't shift back until > 90% throttle, would not recommend.

Powertorque are who butchered my auto tune it was worse than no tune

OzTurtle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Redline
So, received a call from Harrop to say that the final touches are being done to the trans tune, but she's all ready to collect tomorrow morning. They've given me a 346RWKW figure which I'll post when I collect her, but taking into account they use a hub dyno which read higher, I'm guessing it'll be closer to the 330 mark realistically, not bad going from 280RWKW prior to the cam upgrade.

SS Flo Rida

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series II SS W375
So, received a call from Harrop to say that the final touches are being done to the trans tune, but she's all ready to collect tomorrow morning. They've given me a 346RWKW figure which I'll post when I collect her, but taking into account they use a hub dyno which read higher, I'm guessing it'll be closer to the 330 mark realistically, not bad going from 280RWKW prior to the cam upgrade.

Nice you've got to be happy with that! It will be interesting to see the chart and as Aaron said where it's making its power and torque. Did you run a timed quarter or anything similar before the bump stick upgrade?