Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Head gasket without reco heads

CUR53VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
S1 VT Wagon
Hi guys. I'm on a student budget, was wondering if it's possible to change a head gasket without sending the heads away, just clean the mating surfaces thoroughly, gasket goo and gaskets.
Thanks for the help and advice.

TonyJZX

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore M6
if the heads are in good nick and not warped i don't see why not

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E..VF2 redline W375.. 200 series landcruiser
hey mate as a machinist ive done a sh*t load of head cheap as chips normally just a carton of piss to deck the face.. so if your heads are warped its worth a try askin a few places if they do carton jobs

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
You need a workshop manual to show you how to measure the surface to see if it is ok to re use.

FWIW you do not need to fully reco a head to re install it, you can just machine the gasket face if that's what's needed, you can just change the oil seals or even just change individual valves etc if you are cash flow poor.

Just remember if you install a head without machining the gasket face that is not upto spec you will be setting yourself to fail...

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
As above said. Why are you wanting to do the gaskets? If they are leaking, they will need surfacing, or WOFTAM!!

RK5TAR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Manual
hey mate as a machinist ive done a sh*t load of head cheap as chips normally just a carton of piss to deck the face.. so if your heads are warped its worth a try askin a few places if they do carton jobs

I know its not what you meant, but LOL!!

CUR53VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
S1 VT Wagon
I'm pretty sure it's the gaskets that have failed. Won't idle, stalls when u put it into d, and loads of compression gas coming through the radiator when the cap is off. Just bubbles out. Could this be an inletsanifold gasket?

vnkid

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Calais
waste of f***** time and money