Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Headlight LED upgrade

Redline 2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
6000k IS for wank factor. The light is WHITER or bluer, but won't give you the same penetration with all else being equal. Reflection of road signs and wet roads is horrific, which means that your eyes focus on the reflection of the light right in front of your vehicle, rather than what's further down the road (you don't have a choice in this, it happens naturally - your eyes adjust accordingly).

I get the feeling these people saying that they've never been flashed and that higher colour temperatures are better have never done much driving in the country. It quickly becomes a reality when you spend 2+ hours driving in the dark on country roads every day.

I've done the research. A quick google search will tell you everything you need to know about colour temperatures and the legalities of aftermarket lights.
So very correct.

bobman

Reaction score
Members Ride
sv6
Hey mate, have you considered these -> http://www.ae-international.com.au/...m-headlight-hid-conversion-kit-canbus-h7-35w/ I have these in 4300k for the reasons mentioned above. They are made for the VF and completely seal with dust cap and no canbus error. for high beams I went with LEDs as i dont do much highway driving at night. my high beams are more for flash dickheads on our roads (and occassionally being nice as well)

EDIT: if u were going down the road of bulbs I highly recommend the Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited. I had them in my previous car, a Swift, and they were fantastic. Can't comment on how they go in a VF, as when i got my VF I went straight to the above HID kit.

bobman

Reaction score
Members Ride
sv6
hi do you know if you can replace the hid bulbs in this kits from ae-international, as in when they burn out do you need to replace the entire unit or can the bulbs be changed as i would like to change then to 5000k instead of the 6000k they are sold as

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
hi do you know if you can replace the hid bulbs in this kits from ae-international, as in when they burn out do you need to replace the entire unit or can the bulbs be changed as i would like to change then to 5000k instead of the 6000k they are sold as
entire unit would need to be replaced

mrjasonhong

Reaction score
Members Ride
SOAG MY17 VFII SS-V Redline Sportwagon
**edited out misleading info**
Since you are after 5000k you would probably have to go with a "generic" or universal fit H7 kit, which chances are you would need to drill a small hole to run wires, canbus module and mount the ballast somewhere.

The ae-international kit has 4300k on offer if that's your thing. I personally went with 4300k as its looks "halogen" next to the LED parkers that I have but on the road still projects a nice light onto the road. Helps to fly under the radar in my books anyways.

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
No can do mate. If they blow you have to change the entire set as the bulbs, ballast and canbus module are all wired together. Since you are after 5000k you would probably have to go with a "generic" or universal fit H7 kit, which chances are you would need to drill a small hole to run wires, canbus module and mount the ballast somewhere.

That is crap... AE International sells replacement bulbs for $30 including postage.

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
That is crap... AE International sells replacement bulbs for $30 including postage.
ok well thats good to know. ive never had the need to find out just yet. but never saw any sold individually on the site.

also not sure if the original question was more asking could the bulbs be replaced with other brand bulbs.

mrjasonhong

Reaction score
Members Ride
SOAG MY17 VFII SS-V Redline Sportwagon
could you provide a link to said replacement bulbs? I will happily stand corrected.

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
could you provide a link to said replacement bulbs? I will happily stand corrected.
After looking around on there they have a faq under the VE hid item that says they stock spares. So I guess you might have to manually contact them.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Contact AE International through eBay, ask for your specific bulb replacement, and ask for a PayPal invoice. They are easy to deal with.

This lasted 4 years, its partner is still going strong, the replacement only took 2 days to arrive, $30 including postage.
2017-01-24 14.45.57 (Medium).jpg