Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Heater core leak, replace or disconnect?

mohamedelkady

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VZ
Hi,

Today I noticed a water leak over my legs on the pedals, it was a red radiator water -of course- I found some water in front of the driver seat and the passenger seat either. I currently -still- don't have any engine heat problems and due to the red water I managed to decide it is a heater core leak problem.

I'm heading to a workshop tomorrow but some people here are suggesting cutting the heater core hoses and disconnecting it (cheaper and faster solution) and some claim disconnecting it may affect engine cooling and AC performance!

Now my question is that replacing/fixing the heater core requires a full dashboard removal? cause it costs a lot here and most labors around cannot reinstall it as well as before! so any solutions? ideas?

UPDATE1: I was checking AC again, now no air is coming out although I can hear the fan running also when I changed the selector to the front windshield air some air is blowing out but I cannot change to face or leg mode!!

UPDATE2: after a couple of hours I turned on the AC again and -thank god!- it is working correctly, air is blown out well, Now we are discussing the leak problem. DISCONNECT or FIX/REPLACE THE HEAT-CORE?

UPDATE3: I was going to work with car today with the AC on, no leaks. but on my way back home, after I arrived and switched off the car. some coolant came out!

Thanks.

Last edited: