Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP - front brakes - can't press new rotor to old hub....any ideas??

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I had to use the heat gun on my VE to get mine off.
Get a long 10 or 12mm bolt through the caliper bolt hole, thread a matching nut between the mount hole and rotor, then use the bolt as a jackscrew.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Are they front or rear rotors? The machining on the inside makes me wonder if they are rears?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Can you measure the new and old rotor ID's?

Also measure the Hub shoulder OD at the same time. IIIRC they are not a press fit, it should slip on.

Old rotors are normally hard to get off as they get frozen on with rust and crap but once loose they should slide on/off. Mine certainly do (VX).

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Get a long 10 or 12mm bolt through the caliper bolt hole, thread a matching nut between the mount hole and rotor, then use the bolt as a jackscrew.
Yeah could have tried that. Heat gun had them off in two mins a side.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
The rotors should just slide on. I have VX rotors on my VH (VT front). I had them off last weekend as I had the rotors on the wrong sides. I have just measured the centre hole on a spare set of rotors. The measurement is 71.25mm.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
you have to do some measuring vt inner diameter hole is 71.5mm vs commy 70mm or just put the new rotor on top of the old rotor and compare the size of the holes and it could a bit paint put on to thick

Last edited:

Havabigjuan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman s2 & VY Acclaim Wagon
Are they front or rear rotors? The machining on the inside makes me wonder if they are rears?
definitely fronts
Can you measure the new and old rotor ID's?

Also measure the Hub shoulder OD at the same time. IIIRC they are not a press fit, it should slip on.

Old rotors are normally hard to get off as they get frozen on with rust and crap but once loose they should slide on/off. Mine certainly do (VX).
Identical old to new
The rotors should just slide on. I have VX rotors on my VH (VT front). I had them off last weekend as I had the rotors on the wrong sides. I have just measured the centre hole on a spare set of rotors. The measurement is 71.25mm.
I got 71.2 on old non-digital verniers, so similar......hub was about 71.5, again with old verniers and they are 450mm so long and cumbersome
you have to do some measuring vt inner diameter hole is 71.5mm vs commy 70mm or just put the new rotor on top of the old rotor and compare the size of the holes and it could a bit paint put on to thick
cheers, yeah measurements 71.2 to 71.5 with old verniers.....my good ones at work

Havabigjuan

Reaction score
Members Ride
cheers all......after a lot of cleaning, & measuring I put it all back together and looks ok

I am wondering if it was a caliper issue as it was difficult to get on, but I cleaned it all up and went back on much easier
dunno, workmate looked everything over and he is stumped too

will take it for a drive

not sure but somehow I think the caliper may have been an issue....never had such a drama in all my time doing brakes

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
, but I cleaned it all up and went back on much easier

Here is what the problem was.....Build up of gunk preventing it going on properly..........you rattling it on, which you shouldn't, pushed all the gunk to the end preventing it going all the way back where it should...

Surprised you didn't snap a stud

Havabigjuan

Reaction score
Members Ride
nope actually, there was no "build up of gunk".....and if there was it would have been very obvious to me....if anything the hub didn't feel fully even around

and rattling it on with a tec gun was never going to snap a stud.....even with the big gun I was never going to snap a stud

surprising then that so may video's show people rattling the rotor on to secure it

issue was definitely with the caliper seating.....I will chase a pair to refurbish, and source some new ABS hubs to clean it all up....it is a 20 year old wagon after all
Here is what the problem was.....Build up of gunk preventing it going on properly..........you rattling it on, which you shouldn't, pushed all the gunk to the end preventing it going all the way back where it should...

Surprised you didn't snap a stud
but thanks