Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP - front brakes - can't press new rotor to old hub....any ideas??

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
nope actually, there was no "build up of gunk".....and if there was it would have been very obvious to me....if anything the hub didn't feel fully even around

and rattling it on with a tec gun was never going to snap a stud.....even with the big gun I was never going to snap a stud

surprising then that so may video's show people rattling the rotor on to secure it

issue was definitely with the caliper seating.....I will chase a pair to refurbish, and source some new ABS hubs to clean it all up....it is a 20 year old wagon after all

but thanks

Cleaning the hub up removes gunk.....Those rotors are a firmish fit to begin with...Add in some gunk and problems start. And you did clean it up and reported it went back together properly

Havabigjuan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman s2 & VY Acclaim Wagon
Cleaning the hub up removes gunk.....Those rotors are a firmish fit to begin with...Add in some gunk and problems start. And you did clean it up and reported it went back together properly

I did clean at the start too.....I was expecting an almost interference fit, which this doesn't have...kind of threw me off to be honest seeing vids of people rattling them on (hence the interference fit thought)

which leads me to believe the hub is worn...this is an easy fit

it would have been really obvious if a ridge of gunk was stopping

I pulled everything apart and re-cleaned, not just the hub

going to pull the drivers side and inspect that, because the rotor did rattle on and hold....hub may have been replaced at some point, I don't know haven't had this wagon for too long

Havabigjuan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman s2 & VY Acclaim Wagon

I'm going to eat a bit of humble pie and say, whilst "gunk" wasn't the issue, I think the hub wasn't quite concentric...the second time cleaning I hit it with a small dremel emery wheel and rolled the hub around at the same time....

time for new hubs I think, to be safe