Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help me set a clown straight!

Which option best describes your situation?

• Option 1

Votes: 14 8.4%
  • Option 2

Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Option 3

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • Option 4

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • Option 5

Votes: 40 24.0%

• Total voters

elemeNtz

It's my first day :3
Reaction score
Members Ride
responsibly
Im fairly sure you can't recieve a loan if your under 18 (without parental concent) or you have to be working full time for atleast a year

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
An 18yo doesn't want a house.

Anyone who says a house isn't a worthwhile investment is delusional! Its just not what everyone is after. And its always going to be a personal preference. I wanted a car, i bought a car, its not an investment! When i want a house, i'll buy a house to live in;)

Some people in this thread need to keep that in mind when they pop up like this.

Must be an adelaide thing then mate cos i know more 18yo's heading out to buy houses than not. Done in the right order you can have whatever you want. My captiva isn't an investment either, it's a caravan tower - i know i'll lose a hell of a lot of cash on it at some stage (if not already).
Just depends on when you want your financial freedom. I have mine now with the payoff being lots of hard work between 16 and now (25). Like you say it's personal choice and mine was not to have it all right away when in a mere 10 years i can have whatever i want.
I certainly keep it in mind - i also see some advice to hold a little more weight than others when i see how well some people have done for themselves.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
The simple fact that his friend has posted a thread and a poll leads me to believe this kid also wants his car now, and will work off a house later on ;)

Was it the best financial decision of my life to get a loan at 18? Probably not. Would i change it if i went back in time? **** no!

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
The simple fact that his friend has posted a thread and a poll leads me to believe this kid also wants his car now, and will work off a house later on ;)

Was it the best financial decision of my life to get a loan at 18? Probably not. Would i change it if i went back in time? **** no!

And that's fair enough. Different ambitions and direction.

BullittSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
Everyone's got a different opinion on this. At the end of the day, if he works towards his goal, and its all legal, hell good luck to him. No one is in a position to judge. As has been said no one buy's a car as an investment, a car loan is the worst loan you will ever have. My car was $40k brand new, picked it up for $22k when it was 3 years old. Presumably, at the same rate when its 6 years old its $12..

and spot on one_and_only 2004, some of us are happy to pay for a younger car, that's our choice.

Chris E

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive 3.8
My first car was a sigma... which i had for 2-3 months then was offered my current vr and jumped at that... And I wrecked (repairable) that car after about 4-5 months and I can hardly afford it. Only reason I can is because dads a mech and I can do most the work myself and what I can't my dad can.

Tell your mate he'll regret it, I'm actually going back to my sigma because my vr gets me in to much trouble to be a daily driver. Plus, its to god damn expensive. ($14k and counting it owes me.)

Full comprehensive insurance? not even an idea worth thinking about when your a 18ish year old p plater, the price for insurance for my car is more than the car is worth

Don't do it!

And to those guys having a go at the thread starter because they believe that not many young blokes give their cars some stick, well, your wrong. Since I've got my license last august the only nights I haven't been out driving I've had mechanical issues or a party, and I've cruised with all sorts of blokes (and ladies) from all different schools/trades/backgrounds and I can tell you that 99% will at one point or another thrash the living crap out of their cars and alot of them pay the price.

DanVN

Cruizin' in style!
Reaction score
Members Ride
01 WH Statesman International 5.7L
Tell your mate he'll regret it, I'm actually going back to my sigma because my vr gets me in to much trouble to be a daily driver.

If a V6 Commodore gets you in trouble go hand in your license now just to save us all the trouble of ever having to run into you on the roads, or have to pull you out of a wrecked car.

Anyone with that attitude should be given a pushbike and told to live with it. Because frankly your a tool.

VOTE 1 for maturity tests with licenses....

Last edited:

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Tell your mate he'll regret it,

Because you are a person who quite frankly should be banned from the roads, you think everyone will be like you? Simple answer is no, because there are a number of people out there who do not have your immaturity and lack of respect for their property and others, and take care of their possessions. Your father should not fix your car if clearly it is not working due to being thrashed, he is just encouraging you at this point.

Full comprehensive insurance? not even an idea worth thinking about when your a 18ish year old p plater,

If you take out a loan, part of the conditions of the loan is the car is comprehensively insured. A brilliant idea actually given there are people on the roads like you who are high risk drivers and could hit my pride and joy with your wreckless driving.

And to those guys having a go at the thread starter because they believe that not many young blokes give their cars some stick, well, your wrong.

So you can speak for every young driver just because you hang around with a certain element? Maybe you need new cruise buddies.

Tas_HSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV Clubsport
If a V6 Commodore gets you in trouble go hand in your license now just to save us all the trouble of ever having to run into you on the roads, or have to pull you out of a wrecked car.

Anyone with that attitude should be given a pushbike and told to live with it. Because frankly your a tool.

VOTE 1 for maturity tests with licenses....

Sounds like someones forgotton what its like to be a kid........

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Sounds like someones forgotton what its like to be a kid........

Sorry? Your saying its ok to be a dick head in a car as a kid? Thats what tracks and drag nights are for. Sick to death of the idiots on this site thinking its ok to do things "because your young" or because "we have no track to do it anywhere else" pull your ****ing heads in and realise the road is there for transport, not to be a wanker on.