Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help me set a clown straight!

Which option best describes your situation?

• Option 1

Votes: 14 8.4%
  • Option 2

Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Option 3

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • Option 4

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • Option 5

Votes: 40 24.0%

• Total voters

Tas_HSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV Clubsport
Sorry? Your saying its ok to be a dick head in a car as a kid? Thats what tracks and drag nights are for. Sick to death of the idiots on this site thinking its ok to do things "because your young" or because "we have no track to do it anywhere else" pull your ****ing heads in and realise the road is there for transport, not to be a wanker on.

Not saying that at all minux,but what i am saying is since the beginning of time young fellas are overloaded with testosterone etc,and need to take risks,that us older,more mature people dont anymore.Im no angel,never pretended to be,but I dont have the same views on driving as i did 15 years ago,on my Ps,piloting various rotaries,hemi chargers,v8 toranas and utes etc through tassies cold,wet icy windy roads....Yes,i survived that period of my life through blind luck,yes,i might have been silly back then,most of us were,Im just stating that some members here migght have to check their memory banks before judging....And it taught me a lesson that i will never forget....CAR CONTROL!

Chris E

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive 3.8
DanVn When I said gets me in to much trouble I meant as in I get pulled over most nights that I'm out. My only conviction is in my first car and that was due to my indicators not working. Getting pulled over when your just out to have a good time with your mates gets old fast.

Sashyre- When I crashed my car (My fault, I'm not going to try and make excuses, thats what happens when you dump your foot in the rain in an unfamiliar car) My dad helped me with the final line up of the panels, the rest I did myself. My dad helped me with the first gearbox swap when the oil line came off because the previous owner botched it up.

Other than that I do all my own work and the extent of dads help is advice when I'm unsure how to do something. And before you say it, every single cent I've ever poured into my car is my own money, that I earned.

I don't cruise very often at all anymore because of university but I used to go out most nights. Most of the guys I have cruised with in the past aren't my cruise buddies, they are just randoms I've met somewhere and cruised round with and then after that most likely never seen them again. I obviously didn't make it clear enough when I said people from all different backgrounds. I've cruised with people from some of the fanciest schools round brisbane like IGS and JPC, plenty of other private schools, most the public high schools round the area like centenary, forest lake, park ridge, all over. People who are apprentice chefs, mechanics, electricians, roof tilers, roof plumbers. People studying to be nurses, accountants, people doing bachelors of science or studying justice at tafe. I know people from USQ, UQ, Griffith, QUT, most the different unis.

I am NOT saying that I know every young person, but I know a few people who cruise and I know how they behave when they are out with a group of their mates. I am NOT claiming to be an expert, but let me ask, how often do YOU cruise with 17-18-19-20 year olds?

But clearly both you have made up your minds that I'm a tool and a horrible 'hoon' even though you don't know me for ****, but hey, that's cool.

On a different note, what ever happened to saving your money till you can afford what you want? That was one of the things my parents always taught me. If you can't afford it, you can't have it. So you save your money till you can. I don't owe money on my car and I've paid for every part, every bit of work I've done to the car, every rego or insurance bill.

But whatever, in the end its the kids choice.

DanVN

Cruizin' in style!
Reaction score
Members Ride
01 WH Statesman International 5.7L
Sounds like someones forgotton what its like to be a kid........

Its my 20th Birthday today actually ..... wanna drive like a tool, take it to the drags no need for it on the roads.

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
my first car got hit by somone else it was repairable and i kept it for total of a couple years but drove it with different coloured panels for about a year of that i kinda wish i had something nicer but due to inexperience i had a couple of close calls within the first couple months.

my second car was on a 10k loan was really managable on my low income at the time, repayments were only $43 a week i was putting $150 - $200 on it a week, paid a heap off it really quick untill i decided to go for something more expencive, went down hill from there

Tas_HSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV Clubsport
Its my 20th Birthday today actually ..... wanna drive like a tool, take it to the drags no need for it on the roads.

Agree with the taking it to the drags thing,If you are fortunate to live in a place like the western suburbs....not too hard for someone like you aye?but when the closest drag strip is over 200 klms away for someone like me,it makes it a tiny bit harder.....and the fact that driving in a straight line is rather boring....so we had to cut our teeth on some of the local targa stages in the early hours of the morning.....not smart,i know.....15 years and 2 kids later,im quite a bit smarter now,but learnt how to drive properly that way...drive to the cars limits....tis a lot different doing a grasstree hill(targa stage on my doorstep)run in a leaf sprung V8 falcon panelvan then what it is in a clubby....I think its more the hypocrisy that pisses me off....theres threads everywhere on cheap performance upgrades for v6/v8 holdens here,chips for better performance,what filter/CAI etc etc,Why?.If everyone is so against having a lil squirt on the street,on a quiet back road in the early hours,why are we wasting money upgrading our cars?A stocko V6 has more then enough grunt to get us to the speed limits,so why improve the performance?The majority of people who do cheap upgrades on v6s dont plan on dragging it at the track......Why put stiff springs,shocks etc to make our cars more uncomfortable?so they will handle better at 60 km/h?Of course not.....but not everyone with konis and stiff springs has a circuit racing licence....:whistling

Acclaimed VS

cruising
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
I bought my first car just over 1 week ago, orginally i was going to by a cheap ****box mazda 323 however my parents objected to this and told me to get a car with abs and dual airbags. I didnt really want to spend a lot on my first car so a VS was my option because they are cheap, fairly reliable, parts are easy to come by, they have a decent amount of power etc. The point is that becasue I decided to get a car I was enthusiastic about and would enjoy driving I baby it around and take much better care of it then i would have if i bought some 4 pot POS. I think your mate needs to find a good mid point in buying a car the he will like and take care of but one that is also more within reach of him at the current time, Why not suggest a VY exec?

Acclaimed VS

cruising
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Just tell him to get a Vy exec something that is simialar to what he wants but not as unrealistic to reach with his price range

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Haha, let him do what HE wants to do...

Back when I was an apprentice I borrowed for my second car - Personal Loan, (no higher premiums, because the car was NOT finance) $15,000, fo a VT commodore, (first was the VH, many years ago, paid $2000 cash)
And paid it off without any hassels, no missed payments... My interest was alot cheaper than 12%, at a resonable rate of 8.9%, still had enough money to go cruising every week, thursday and saturday nights, and sunday arvo's.. and to save up, to modify it as I was going, I was only paying $150 a fortnight, so $75 a week, over 5 years, got half way through paying it off, and got another loan of $10,000 over 5 years, for a dirtbike, bodykit, mags and a 8x5 gal trailer...

I never spent a cent on the VT other than modify'ing it (which wasnt neccessary) and servicing it, which was no more than anyother car - they all need servicing at basically the same intervals, (if anything the VT onwards are good for 15,000kms, whereas the older ones every 5,000-10,000kms,)

All paid off, the VT is gone now, with a VY in its place, as soon as its financially possible, the VY will make room for a VE, still have the dirtbike and trailer,

For me it worked out very well, more or less 'making' me spend my money on something worthwhile, instead of pissing it up the wall,

Although I agree that a FIRST car should be a crappa, because the likelyhood of having a prang is quite high, BUT my cousin has recently (8 months ago) bought a VY calais, 6 cyl, and as a red 'P' plater has driven it quite well, not had any smashes or close calls.. he's probly paying too much interest on the loan, but other than that he's going well, saving up to modify it when he can...

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Agree with the taking it to the drags thing,If you are fortunate to live in a place like the western suburbs....not too hard for someone like you aye?but when the closest drag strip is over 200 klms away for someone like me,it makes it a tiny bit harder.....and the fact that driving in a straight line is rather boring....so we had to cut our teeth on some of the local targa stages in the early hours of the morning.....not smart,i know.....15 years and 2 kids later,im quite a bit smarter now,but learnt how to drive properly that way...drive to the cars limits....tis a lot different doing a grasstree hill(targa stage on my doorstep)run in a leaf sprung V8 falcon panelvan then what it is in a clubby....I think its more the hypocrisy that pisses me off....theres threads everywhere on cheap performance upgrades for v6/v8 holdens here,chips for better performance,what filter/CAI etc etc,Why?.If everyone is so against having a lil squirt on the street,on a quiet back road in the early hours,why are we wasting money upgrading our cars?A stocko V6 has more then enough grunt to get us to the speed limits,so why improve the performance?The majority of people who do cheap upgrades on v6s dont plan on dragging it at the track......Why put stiff springs,shocks etc to make our cars more uncomfortable?so they will handle better at 60 km/h?Of course not.....but not everyone with konis and stiff springs has a circuit racing licence....:whistling

well said..

+1

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
First car i had was a 5 speed VH commodore that was well overpowered for what it was (was built by a bunch of back yard mechanics) but it was road legal ect, the only reason i bought it was due to needing a car really badly and i got it dirt cheap (less than 1k due to my 3rd cousin owning the car yard i bought it from) i eventually sold it off to the wreckers as it wouldn't go into 5th gear:( & the old man helped me get into an efi VK commy wich was a nice car for a while untill it got sold off, but even now i really miss my VH:emb: