Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Help stuck at 230kw only $2700 left in budget

Lazin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VS V6 Wag
Okay multiple replies.
Sircruise: Showing my lack of tuning knowledge there, just thought that a tune was a tune, and if i changed the cam then would definitely be a new tune no?
As to where it was tuned I was living in NZ in 2009 built engine over there and brought it back plonked it into my old wagon which was stored here.
She was tuned by Torque Performance in Auckland, did my research and they came up as the best.

Mace: I think I will stay with the M90 I know its small but I dont want much more power and the engine bay looks stock at first glance which was the plan.
So would a better suited cam make much difference? as much or more difference as an IC?

Chargedvx6: 1.65:1 thats what I thought and then someone convinced me they are 1.6 wont bother with rockers then.
Box is a vp thm700. She used to have a borg t5 got rid of it a couple weeks ago, traffic + age = sick of riding clutch and changing gears and stupid cable clutch oh and v6 t5s don't seem to like too much torque.

dan S

Reaction score
Members Ride
KE20
Ive driven an M90 to a 10.79@126mph best in a VT. They can be spun to 20,000 rpm and survive fine, spinning the motor to 7300rpm.

W2As are not restrictive thats BS lol...

My self id go turbo, its the easiest way to make bulk HP, but the M90 can work ok too.

Is the car driven every day? If not go an ethanol tune. Use E85 from Caltex. You will see at the least 30rwkw gain and you will be able to spin the blower damn hard with out any heat issues.

If your still not happy, use a N20 fogger to spray ethanol into the intake just before the throttle. This is called liquid charging.

Then maybe go a 40 pill and a 36 pill on the gas/fuel.

If you dont go 11.0 your doing something wrong.

Dan's turbo VP 10.07@138
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JPop3HmKJY

Craigs M90 VT Calais. 10.92@124 WITH A W2A lol.... so much for restriction. lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLDzkV6hr7Y

Last edited:

YILDI2

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
FG XR6 TURBO /RIP VT II LS1 Clubby, VR Commodore S
i reckon go turbo mate, unless you prefer the low down torque of the supercharger,
also your cam may be holding you back since its not for fi setup ( i just quickly went over thread ) turbo setup should cost you
round $4000 mark + re tune and you will make heaps more power, you can turn the boost down and up at your own pleasure instead of changing pullies +
this way you can pump as much boost as your engine is made to take and get the full potential out of it, if your worried about lag thats a different story
how much boost can your engine take ?, if it handles 20psi get a T04z turbo break into the 9's lol ;)

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
what psi pulley does craig run 19 or so

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&

MACE

Reaction score
She was tuned by Torque Performance in Auckland, did my research and they came up as the best.

Mace: I think I will stay with the M90 I know its small but I dont want much more power and the engine bay looks stock at first glance which was the plan.
So would a better suited cam make much difference? as much or more difference as an IC?

Was it tuned using kalmaker? If so then it shouldn't cost as much to get the tune touched up locally.

As for the cam, the M90 is sensitive to cam selection on an L67 more so in a stroker. Put it this way, air temps aren't you're biggest problem at the moment as a lot of it is getting blown out the exhaust, so intercooling in your case won't help a great deal.

W2A intercooler systems on the market in general for L67's are less restrictive then equivalent A2A setups, as the path which the air has to travel to get into the inlet manifold is MUCH more direct.

Cheers,
Steve

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Intercooling has to be the next step surely.Youve spent the cash on a stroked bottom end it would be a waste not to take advantage of that. As for A2A vs W2A it may be an Idea to decide whos going to tune it first and ask what setup they are more experienced working with. Both get similar results for similar coin. Also keep in mind a lot of intercooler kits come up second hand from people selling cars, going turbo etc so you can save some cash there

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

ouch, how much he sting you for that?

Was it tuned using kalmaker? If so then it shouldn't cost as much to get the tune touched up locally.

torque performance doesn't use kalmaker, he uses his own software

MACE

Reaction score
Intercooling has to be the next step surely.Youve spent the cash on a stroked bottom end it would be a waste not to take advantage of that. As for A2A vs W2A it may be an Idea to decide whos going to tune it first and ask what setup they are more experienced working with. Both get similar results for similar coin. Also keep in mind a lot of intercooler kits come up second hand from people selling cars, going turbo etc so you can save some cash there

Boost is not the problem for the main reasons, current cam, increased engine capacity, lower comp and M90. Given the constraints and budget, intercooling is probably not the best next step IMHO