Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help! VS Calais acts like starving for fuel in first gear and Drive first gear!

xDriiftPrincess

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 3.8L
I have a Vs Calais, I have replaced everything in the fuel and ignition system, and it is still doin it! It is splattering like it is running out of fuel, even with a full tank! I do have a theory on what it could be but just want some opinions first!
My temp gauge is out of order haha and I can smell coolant really bad, there is no leaks at all, and engine heats up really fast, this is just going on knowledge not the gauge, so my theory is that my thermostat has **** itself and engine is getting really hot and it's heating up the plate under the coil packs and is causing her to skip a beat! Is this even an option? I'm stuck and have tried almost everything apart from what it is haha

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Have you checked for error codes?

It might be a vacuum leak or faulty dfi module. Get the temperature gauge sorted ASAP too.

As for the overheating..Is the floor inside ever wet? That would indicate a leaking heater core
Also, have you bled the cooling system properly?

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss
Maybe change the thermostat for one that opens earlier , replace all your coolant at a 50/50 mix and bleed the system like EYY said. It could also be your throttle position sensor?

xDriiftPrincess

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 3.8L
Maybe change the thermostat for one that opens earlier , replace all your coolant at a 50/50 mix and bleed the system like EYY said. It could also be your throttle position sensor?

Have checked the throttle, it's only happening in first gear and in first in drive, it's driving me insane! I check everything on a daily basis (my car is my baby) and I seem to be full in the radiator, also very clean, but nothing in the overflow before and after running.

xDriiftPrincess

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 3.8L
Have you checked for error codes?

It might be a vacuum leak or faulty dfi module. Get the temperature gauge sorted ASAP too.

As for the overheating..Is the floor inside ever wet? That would indicate a leaking heater core
Also, have you bled the cooling system properly?
I haven't done an error code check as of yet and no wet carpets, I don't seem to be loosing any fluids either, just I don't think it's returning to the overflow, I'll replace the thermostat and fix the temp gauge first, and see if that also helps the fuel starvation. Will keep you's updated on everything!

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss
If its only happening in first and drive then maybe its the solenoids on your gearbox. Or something else to do with the gearbox. If it was a motor problem it should be doing it in all gears.

I'd still do the thermostat and also get an auto transmission place to check it out.

moneypit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
So you can smell coolant, it's emptying the overflow bottle everytime you drive it and you "think" it's overheating, though you have changed all the fuel/ignition system?

It has a coolant leak, you just can't see it. Like has been said already, fix the temp guage/sender and a new radiator cap too.

Do the thermo fans kick in at all when in traffic? is there any mayonase/moisture inside the oil cap? do you get belt squeel often when you first start the car?

Do the cheap things that have been suggested and monitor results. I would also drop the plugs out again and check for any black or wet plugs different from the others, especialy differences in each bank.

xDriiftPrincess

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 3.8L
So you can smell coolant, it's emptying the overflow bottle everytime you drive it and you "think" it's overheating, though you have changed all the fuel/ignition system?

It has a coolant leak, you just can't see it. Like has been said already, fix the temp guage/sender and a new radiator cap too.

Do the thermo fans kick in at all when in traffic? is there any mayonase/moisture inside the oil cap? do you get belt squeel often when you first start the car?

Do the cheap things that have been suggested and monitor results. I would also drop the plugs out again and check for any black or wet plugs different from the others, especialy differences in each bank.

Ok I think I worded it wrong, I don't want to fix the over heating, that is not the problem right now, the problem is my car acts like it's running out of fuel, and the overheating was my theory, also, I have rechecked the plugs and have changed leads with my spare set that I have just incase, i have also removed the engine and had it on an engine stand, and went over it completely, I went over my hoses, absolutely everything and there is no leaks anywhere, like I said my car is my baby, and I'm very cluey with this stuff, as I've been rebuilding and installing engines since I was little, so I only ask for help once I have tried everything haha