Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Here are some modification parts for v6 3.8L !!

CHD cowboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
3800 holden
Guys may be you can help me out what i know about my commodore is lets just say scarey...

i purchased mine to race oval track racing with it but im getting my rear end kicked by the Ford and Bmw boys
now our class has rules like we not allowed to go over 150 kw but torque is open ...

please i need help what can i do to increase power but remember i am not allowed to use nos, turbo's or blowers
Please help

CHD cowboy from south africa

my email is [email protected]

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Guys may be you can help me out what i know about my commodore is lets just say scarey...

i purchased mine to race oval track racing with it but im getting my rear end kicked by the Ford and Bmw boys
now our class has rules like we not allowed to go over 150 kw but torque is open ...

please i need help what can i do to increase power but remember i am not allowed to use nos, turbo's or blowers
Please help

CHD cowboy from south africa

my email is [email protected]
What diff ratio are u running? If your running the std 3.08 u will see a good gain by dropping down to a 3.45 or 3.7 ratio the acceleration will be heaps quicker

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
For more torque -

Increase runner length. Ideally you would custom make a 26-28" runner straight out of each port, then add Individual throttle butterflies. Not very practical I know, but it's what to aim for
Isolate your intake from heat sources (Bakelite spacers etc)
Add timing
Add Fuel (Injectors etc)
Change fuel to E85
Add water meth injection for charge cooling.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Supercharged "Auuusiecouch"
Something like this (runner length ends at the trumpet mouth)

9UteITBEcotec.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

11%20ITBs.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Dunno why this cropped up again bu t yeah - right idea with the trumpets, just FAR too short to produce any more torque.

Why your trying to achieve is a long, moving column of air. That column of air has a certain momentum if you will, that causes a bit of a pressure build up when the valve closes, and consequently a but faster and better cylinder fill when the valve opens.

The column has to be long enough that the increase in pressure is trapped by the column of air itself. Ever get 10 mates in a round pool, and make them all walk around the inner edge in the water ? Get all that water moving in the same direction at the same speed - then turn around and try to walk the opposite way ? You almost can't for a few seconds.

Same concept - trap the high pressure air at the valve, so that it helps in filling the pot.

Go too long and your throttle response starts to die off. To short and great throttle response, but column of air is too light to trap the pressure.

When you get it right, the torque increase is noticeable. 15% ish max though. DOn't expect turbo performance.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Supercharged "Auuusiecouch"
I agree with you about the moving column of air having momentum - ('Ram air') .
It did have a very noticeable increase in torque and response over the previous twin throttle body setup.
From memory, runner was 18" from valve stem to trumpet bellmouth, which is quite a bit longer than stock (even with Mace LIM spacers).

Last edited: