Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HI What is the ride like in the new VF Sv6

GH05T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
xuv thats a ve, s1

zucan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford
The big problem to day is the cars have air bags and park assist and all this other stuff i really do not need park assist most of Broken Hill is angle parking and airbags well it is a bit like a lotto ticket you have about the same chance of winning lotto as to needing the air bag

I had a HZ Holden with a solid steel bar fitted to the sub frame and they were solid but they are now out and I am not sure about plastic ones I spoke to a couple who are from a station out of town who had a evoke and they had the plastic Holden one , I asked what it was like the wife replied as useless as tits on a bull we have a steel one on order from ecb

thanks for the reply's it has all been helpful

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
If you require a roo bar that fully complies with the air bags and other systems within the car your only option is the Evoke model. Both the Holden factory Roo Bar option and other 3rd party manufacturers that comply with the air bag compliance are only available on the Evoke.

To be honest both the Evoke and Calais Models use the same front panels so I do not know why they all cannot have these Roo Bars fitted.

Both the Evoke and Calais models use the FE1 suspension which is the softest setting of the VF models. This suspension turn is very comfortable while still providing very good handling control. Nothing like a Redline but it is a very good compromise.

Also the Evoke comes with 16" wheels and higher profile tyres as standard which greatly improve the ride quality but reduces the handling quality somewhat. In view of where you live - Broken Hill and I assume you are driving on main roads on your trips to Adelaide and Mildura, the lower handling quality of the Evoke model is less of importance where ride quality due to the softer ride and smaller wheels and higher tyre profile are more important. Also this setup is better suited to rough roads and dirt roads as well as it more durable.

I personally drive a Calais V where the seats are very comfortable and they would provide the seat comfort use require.

The evoke model has different seats and uses cloth material. I have sat in this model in the showroom and it felt comfortable but this is not a suitable recommendation.

Maybe see if you can hire a VF evoke to see how the seats go.

zucan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford
zappaboy
yes that is what we plan on doing I spoke to guy from ECB he will get back to me on the commodore but they have not started working on the FG 11 and FG x bull bar

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute

JackB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm Sedan Auto
zucan,
This is probably a little late for your decision, but, I have a MY14 SV6 Sedan Storm Auto bought in May 2014.

My wife and myself have just finished a quick tour south for family reasons.

We had to get to Mt Gambier in a hurry. That's 3000 Klm from where we live.
I have a bad back along with hip problems as well. I drove all the way in 2 days (1400 the first 1600 the second).
Admittedly it was all blacktop driving, but I was still in reasonable shape when I got there.
I won't tell you the average speed for the trip down, but the trip back was a bit more sedate.
The car didn't miss a beat, and got us out of several "sticky" situations.
Overall, we did 7,356 Klm round trip. The trip from Adelaide to Sydney we averaged 8.3 L/100Klm. The trip from Sydney to Rockhampton we averaged 8.4 L/100Klm Average speed for both was 98.7 Klm/Hour. Work that out with all the towns involved.

This whole trip took us 2 weeks.

This is the best 6 cylinder car I have ever owned, and if they didn't make V8's, I would buy a second one.

The ride was firm, BUT, was as safe as houses with the handling.

BRILLIANT is the best word to describe it.

I have done 23916 Klm so far and have had absolutely NO problems with it.

Jack

Last edited:

Bhp Steel

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
holden
[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
VF Factory Bar
$T2eC16FHJF4FFks2W1P6BSZLi8YNBQ~~60_12.JPG

Here is the VE Holden nudge bar that will fit the VF Evoke.

Attachments

• IMG_1951.JPG
    IMG_1951.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 225

zucan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford
well I know one thing last time we got a big drop of rain in Broken Hill six months later the roads were full of roos and emus like a plague so roo bar s will be a must or take care because last week end we got over 300ml in some places and lots of roads closed si in six months it wil be on for young and old

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
zucan,
This is probably a little late for your decision, but, I have a MY14 SV6 Sedan Storm Auto bought in May 2014.

My wife and myself have just finished a quick tour south for family reasons.

We had to get to Mt Gambier in a hurry. That's 3000 Klm from where we live.
I have a bad back along with hip problems as well. I drove all the way in 2 days (1400 the first 1600 the second).
Admittedly it was all blacktop driving, but I was still in reasonable shape when I got there.
I won't tell you the average speed for the trip down, but the trip back was a bit more sedate.
The car didn't miss a beat, and got us out of several "sticky" situations.
Overall, we did 7,356 Klm round trip. The trip from Adelaide to Sydney we averaged 8.3 L/100Klm. The trip from Sydney to Rockhampton we averaged 8.4 L/100Klm Average speed for both was 98.7 Klm/Hour. Work that out with all the towns involved.

This whole trip took us 2 weeks.

This is the best 6 cylinder car I have ever owned, and if they didn't make V8's, I would buy a second one.

The ride was firm, BUT, was as safe as houses with the handling.

BRILLIANT is the best word to describe it.

I have done 23916 Klm so far and have had absolutely NO problems with it.

Jack

This is where I think these cars excel, until recently I had a VE SV6 SIDI auto, the fuel consumption you mentioned is similar to what I would get highway travelling Sydney to Brisbane. I also have a Subaru Forester '08 2.5 auto and the fuel consumption will be close on the highway, but it has nowhere near the power and engine response of the SV6, consider also the SV6 is about 200Kg heavier than the Forester. I think the SIDI V6 is very good engine (apart from possible timing chain issues) and the Commodore is a good car to go with it. Will be a shame in a few years time when they aren't made anymore. ECB bars were mentioned in this thread also. I have one on the Forester and they look to be well made, good quality.