Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

History lesson 3800 v6 owners

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
That front facing intake manifold seems quite a good idea , it would work a treat with a OTR CAI feeding straight into it !!

I reckon there would be a fair bit more than just the manifold required. Have a look at where the coils are located compared to your Commodore and you would probably have to replace things like the oil pump (faces directly forward in the photo instead of sideways), engine mountings, thermostate housing, - might be easier to just get a complete motor and try installing it.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
I reckon there would be a fair bit more than just the manifold required. Have a look at where the coils are located compared to your Commodore and you would probably have to replace things like the oil pump (faces directly forward in the photo instead of sideways), mountings, thermostate housing, - might be easier to just get a complete motor and try installing it.

thermostat housing comes with the manifold, just get a new hose. coils can be put where ever you want, just change lead length. alternator is in much the same position as standard, engine mounts shouldnt need to be touched, stock ecotec oil pump and filter arrangement should be fine.

clearance for the belt from alternator to aircon would be the biggest struggle.

stock ecotec arrangement for comparison

8b3d_1.JPG

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
a front on pic of the yank one, albeit a rather hard pic to see

engineBay7(M).jpg

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Interesting photos. Yeah, the A/C compressor is in a different location, isn't it, and I see the point regarding belt clearance.

You'd have to wonder if anybody bothers importing used V6's into Australia, because they'd be pretty cheap in the States. Otherwise, onto the ol' internet to see if they can be purchased from US wreckers or auto suppliers.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
shipping would be the killer.

one would need to do what i did, buy the manifold and any "needed" ancillaries , ie. thermostat housing, probably alternator, throttlebody(an earlier model, not the elec one), bolt it to a motor, and sort out the belt problems if any.

this is the l27 manifold from the yank motors. i've flipped it around to face the front. will get it done oneday

Pict00v18.jpg

jphanna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA
The OP appears to be correct according to this article by a well respected motoring historian,

CanadianDriver: Motoring Memories - General Motors 3800 V-6 engine

So i get to stay?

i still havnt given up on proving that the fireball V8 (which the 3800V6 is related to)was originally a BMW pushrod V8 design, disgarded from the failed 507. I read this ONCE in a wheels magazine in the late 80's, early 90's.

you know the GULLWING 300 SLR from the 50's (another collector famous car), well that had a 3.0Litre SLANT 6. does anyone you know have a slant 6 valiant, well take a look at the motor...its designed by the same guy that did the MERC....he went to USA to work for Chrysler.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
The buick v6 is based on a v8 not sure which v8 but its defenitely a v8 motor with 2 cylinders hacked off. How can you tell?? well nobody but yank are stupid enough to make a 90 degree v6 they're also to lazy to design a completely new motor.
the v6 has inherent imbalance issues due to it being a 90 degree v6. theres no even firing pattern due to this and it causes bad vibrations. So along the way the added a balance shaft and used a offset split journals on the big ends to try and even out the balancing.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I think it's highly unlikely that an early 60's alloy V8 design would be so modified that it ended up as a cast iron V6 a couple of years later.

Well, I've learnt something. I was wrong.......again. (puts head in bucket)

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Well, I've learnt something. I was wrong.......again. (puts head in bucket)

I dont think it was based on an alloy v8. Though the casting of cast iron is a lot cheaper than alloy maybe cost restraints forced them to use cast iron instead of alloy