Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

History lesson 3800 v6 owners

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Well, I've learnt something. I was wrong.......again. (puts head in bucket)

I dont think it was based on an alloy v8. Though the casting of cast iron is a lot cheaper than alloy maybe cost restraints forced them to use cast iron instead of alloy.

Well after eading that candian driver thread maybe it was based on the alloy v8

Growler88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT v6
well that had a 3.0Litre SLANT 6. does anyone you know have a slant 6 valiant, well take a look at the motor...its designed by the same guy that did the MERC....he went to USA to work for Chrysler.

I heard something a long long time ago that the engine that was in the old morris minor 1000's (849cc and 950cc i think) 4pots were later used to power datsun 120Y's. not 100% but it explains why they are a direct bolt in. despite nearly 70% more displacement and 3times the power..

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
the v6 has inherent imbalance issues due to it being a 90 degree v6. theres no even firing pattern due to this and it causes bad vibrations. So along the way the added a balance shaft and used a offset split journals on the big ends to try and even out the balancing.

i though only the later versions of the 3800 had the offset bigend journals? from what i've read, with the offset journals the firing order is even through the entire revolution of the crank. the other big issue with this engine seems to be that factory "tolerances" for balancing are really poor.

the yanks also had oddfire and evenfire versions of this engine. not exactly sure what the differences are. the factory turbo'd buick regal grand national cars certainly but a few V8's to shame in there day. there is a large after market parts supply for these engines.

jphanna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA
Well, I've learnt something. I was wrong.......again. (puts head in bucket)

mate its not about one upmanship or name calling, its just something i find very interesting. the V6 3800 that a lot of you drive, has had a very interesting history....and the v8 that its derived from is a F1 success story.

did you know that ford anglia (pommy sh1t box)4 Cyl engine 'morphed' into the first cosworth V8 f1 engne? they put 2 blocks together...the rest as they say...

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
i though only the later versions of the 3800 had the offset bigend journals? from what i've read, with the offset journals the firing order is even through the entire revolution of the crank. the other big issue with this engine seems to be that factory "tolerances" for balancing are really poor.

the yanks also had oddfire and evenfire versions of this engine. not exactly sure what the differences are. the factory turbo'd buick regal grand national cars certainly but a few V8's to shame in there day. there is a large after market parts supply for these engines.

Cranks from all holden versions of the buick v6 have offset journal in fact theyre all pretty much indenticle except for the l67 version. tolerances and factory are fairly poor on the v6 but the same can be said for holden 6's and v8's

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
mate its not about one upmanship or name calling, its just something i find very interesting. the V6 3800 that a lot of you drive, has had a very interesting history....and the v8 that its derived from is a F1 success story.

did you know that ford anglia (pommy sh1t box)4 Cyl engine 'morphed' into the first cosworth V8 f1 engne? they put 2 blocks together...the rest as they say...

Oh, it's not a case of being one-upped, or even being wrong. Heck, being wrong is something I'm pretty familiar with.

It's more a case of being pretty certain of my facts, then being shown to only know part of the story.

I had the alloy V8 history with its sale to Leyland spot on, but the fact that the V6 was in any wa related to the alloy V8 is a real surprise.

Still, congrats on bringing an interesting thread to the forum. It has certainly evoked a fair bit of comment.