Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HOLDEN-IQ in Series 1

salute the ute

DRIVING IS A PASSION
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Ute Series II Perfect Blue
Your not really going to like my post.

There is another mob that does the exact same thing as jhp for $1500

Even worse news,
I got mine for $350 from a wrecker, and all of the trim bits for another $200 (including piano black shifter insert, surrounds, and a lot of the bits that jhp do not supply with their kit)

Once you have all the required bits, you then need to program the vin number in the main unit using an EEPROM programmer, and swap over a couple of wires on the plugs (the plugs are the same, just the wires are in different locations)

The problem with the jhp kit is that they use a non sat nav unit. So if you want sat nav later, you pretty much have to get a whole new unit and fascia, as the non sat nav units are missing the tms and sat nav boards, and they cannot be retro fitted because the secondary board is missing the connect to connect these boards.

The only reason why I haven't fitted my iq system up is because I have factory series I gps, which I use quite often, and my iq unit is from an omega. (hence the reason why I am now looking for an iq unit from a calaisv or ssv with the nav boards fitted)

Hey Matti,

I have been looking on carmodder and havnt seen any updates on the IQ for a few weeks now, have you been able to figure out exactly how to change the red creen to blue ?

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
Why anyone would pay that amount of money for flakey bluetooth and shite maps is beyond me :/

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Yeah, I agree with Loaded Dice here.
As I said earlier, I haven't fitted the Omega IQ unit because there is really very little benefit (for me anyway) at the moment.

Considering the cost of all the trim pieces you need to fit the IQ unit (nicely, I.E. if you get an SV6, SS, SSV model), you need the piano black shift bits, steering wheel buttons, headlamp switch.
You also need a new cage, cage surround, lower surround, upper surround, spears, and all those depend on what look you want to go for. (I.E. Sport, Stock, or HSV).
The trim pieces can almost exceed the cost of the IQ unit itself.
Plus on top of all this, a lot of wreckers have absolutely no clue as to what parts are needed / should be included with an IQ kit.
(I made many phone calls to the wrecker that sold me the IQ unit, as he thought he could just sell me the screen, and not the main unit, HVAC controls, or anything else).

Considering a Series I colour HVAC unit doesnt need the trim pieces, and that I have seen a couple now go for $600 with the HVAC module, and programmed, then right now these seem the easiest upgrade.

I still need to work out some of the advanced wiring stuff (like Aux Video Inputs, and the glove box / centre console USB connector wiring), as I dont have any wiring connectors to play with at the moment.

I have the wiring information for getting the unit to work, with sound and SW LAN, but there is a lot of extra stuff (Like wiring for the HSV EDI module),
which I would like to get my head around.

To get this information, I just need to subscribe to the ACDelco SI General Motors Service Repair Manual Information, which costs $20US for three days.
I haven't done this yet because I want to be able to rip as much information as possible from the site, and I want to have as much time to do this as possible.

When I have some time, I will have a look at the advanced wiring stuff. (I need access to the USB port to really be able to do anything fun with this unit).

So just to summarise,
Most of the Basic wiring has been worked out (Speakers, Power, SWLan),
VIN programming via EEPROM has been worked out. (No need for Tech2 !)
Startup Logos has not been worked out (Doesn't appear to be in the main unit EEPROM, possibly in the fascia though)
Blue Red Colour has not been worked out (USB port may be the key to this).
Adding Sat-Nav to a non IQ unit has been kinda worked out (and is a PITA to do, easier to buy a Sat Nav unit)
Adding Flash storage to an Omega unit has been kinda worked out (and is a PITA to do, easier just to upgrade the complete IQ unit)
HSV EDI is a seperate module (located where the bluetooth module is for Series I models), and requires some MAJOR wiring to get working.
VIM is unknown at this point.

image.php
image.php

image.php
image.php

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Side Query?

The short answer is no. It would be far too involved and probably end up being cheaper to sell the car and buy a Series II. Just to give you an idea, you can't even fit satnav to a Series II after it's left the factory because there is no way of linking it all up.

I priced it for several customers when the Series II came out and IIRC it cam out around the $9-10k mark just for parts.

I am interested in your remark that a Satnav cannot be retro-fitted to a Series II VE after it leaves the factory.

When I was actually picking up my MY11 VE SV6, the dealer made a big play trying to get me to fit Satnav. The salesman said that if I acepted (cost $800), they could fit it in a matter of minutes while I waited. I declined.

However, if what you say is correct, then just maybe my vehicle is in fact fitted with the hardware, and just needs activating through software. Do you think that might be the case, and if so, how do I check to see if the hardware is there?

Thanks.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
The problem with fitting Sat Nav to a non IQ unit is a couple of things,

1) It is missing the hardware (A daughter board to be exact, which plugs in to the screen processor board).
2) On my Omega unit, it is missing the connector for this daughter board to plug in. (I think the connector exists for non Omega models, as this board also contains the flash memory chip for ripping CDs).

If the dealer has said that they can fit Sat-Nav in a matter of minutes, then it may be possible that Sat-Nav has been optioned, and they have just pulled the maps software SD card out from the main unit.
The maps software SD card is located on the RHS of the main unit, just below the wiring connectors.
To get access to this, you would need to drop the lower trim on the drivers side around the centre console trim.

The other thing about fitting sat nav to a non sat nav IQ car, you would need to fit the Sat Nav antenna, and the traffic management antenna to the vehicle for the Sat Nav functions to work. (Though in your case, these may already be fitted).

doubledip

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV, LH Torana / LSA / VE E3 HSV interior
I have fitted the S2 E3 IQ system to my S1 SSV along with the POD gauges and E3 cluster and love it... anyone who cant see the benefits then hasnt used the IQ over a S1 setup.. it is night and day between the 2.... i agree the maps/satnav is not as good as say a tomtom.. but compared to my S1 SSV with no satnav i love it.. the appearance is so much better as well

IMG_7274.JPG

as for the EDI i have it all wired up just need to finish linking it up and it will function as well.. also changed my steering wheel to a E3 HSV and EDI controls

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Yeah, DoubleDip is the man when it comes to IQ stuff.
He has helped me out with quite a lot with this stuff, and I unfortunately havent been able to contribute much in return.
Until I get up to speed with the wiring, or get my hands on a Sat-Nav IQ unit, progress from me will be a bit slow.
Time for me has been very difficult, been organising new hardware for work, and trying to set up / get used to a new laptop (With the number of iOS apps I am writing now, I bought a retina Macbook pro, and I am having a very hard time trying to hold back the vomit from being forced to use OSX on a daily basis).

Hopefully soon I will have some time to play around again.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
^^ lol I don't fully understand what you're talking about, but I'll take your word for it. :)

So doubledip, do you have full functionality of your IQ? Do you do the conversion for $? Where are you located? Is it currently possible to get a system with satnav, VIM and reverse camera all operational?

So many questions hahaha..

*EDIT* just found your website
http://www.ultimateconversionwiring.com.au/
Cool...