Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden No Longer Australia #1 Car!!

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
I've talked to older people who think that even today, bringing out the Commodore was the worst thing that Holden ever did, that the last good Holdens were the HZ's, and then the WB commercials and Statesmans...I get the idea that in 30 years from now, a lot of us will be in the same boat in regards to the Cruze taking over from the Commodore.

in 30 years time if im still here i be 77 ,i be happy to ride a electric scooter powered by solar panels doing 10ks that still get me around

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I've talked to older people (including myself, thats a worry! ) who will admit a certain nostalgia regarding older cars. We miss the ability to play with the carby or adjust the points to try and improve performance or economy without the aid of a computer, and the awesome simplicity of a red 308..

I dont think any of us 'older people' are likely to to say we should have stuck with the Kingswood though. Modern cars are so much more powerful, economical, reliable and safe than the Kingswood ever was. ANY modern car, regardless of which 3rd world shithole it was made in, is a better car than the Kingswood ever was.

I bought another Kia Cerato a couple months back, its an awesome car. It comes with a 5 year unlimited km warranty. I dont care if it falls apart, they can just fix it.. I will sell it before the warranty expires anyway. I am betting it wont fall apart though, and its half the price of a similarly equipped Commodore.

Old cars certainly have a place in my heart, but new cars are better cars, no denying it. The Commodore is selling less because it no longer suits the needs of the majority of buyers. This trend will continue until it will be replaced eventually by something that does. I think thats called 'progression' :)

I doubt it will be the Cruze either (hope not, dont like them).. interesting that Ford are about to build a 4cyl Turbo Falcon. Look for a Holden reply to this..

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Mate my VX sits in my shed most of the time and for reference sakes my daily driver is a 5spd Holden Barina, I learnt to drive in a ford ghia V8. My sister owns a Mazda 3 which I have also driven more then once.

Let's see what else I driven other then VX, oh dad owns a VE E3 GTS mum owns a Holden Jackaroo turbo. I also drive a Holden Colorado lt-r daily at work.

Dude I maybe 19 but I grew in a family of eight out on a farm we had tons of cars which varied from 4x4, utes, v6's,v8's etc

I wasn't saying my VX was all that and an actually fact I believe I was talking about the VE and I will not take back the matchbox thing I drive one daily that being my barina but then again that's a Holden.

And I don't think I actually stated that the Mazda 3 had no power anywhere I said that the VE probably has tons more power.

Which if you would like to think a Mazda 3 would beat a stock VE sv6 or ss then ok that's up to you.

C'mon mate why you got so much of an attitude did I offend you?

Lol mate where did i say anything about the mazda 3 having no power?

I read this than LOLed so hard your paying out all the 'pussies' driving mazda 3's but you drive a barina.

Also, i don't believe i gave you attitude, you don't need to jump on the defensive.

CHEETR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT feature car, WRX STI WAGON
mazda 3 SP25 will beat a Sv6.. :) i sold both for a living for a while before starting my own business, sp25 is a quick little car, MPS is even quicker!

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Mazda 3's are a pretty good car, no question. My Mum has owned one since 2006 (05 model). And it's been very reliable, it has a few minor faults, like any car. They run pretty decent engines, gearbox is solid, my main complaint is they hadn't quite mastered some of the electric systems that replaced some hydraulics (power steering for example).

That said, Commodore is a Aussie icon, and family favourite for decades, the only way anyone will get my VT is if they pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
I like jap cars, they're compact, full of features, and usually well made.

In my opinion I'd be more inclined to purchase a late model jap car than a late model commodore.
Why?
Personally I think the VE's in particular have lost touch with a lot of things. Look at the doors, flat, boring and featureless and just a plastic/cheapish feel look and feel. (no offense VE guys, It's just my opinion, and I'm by no means saying "My cars better than yours"), I also think the seats are are lacking. They're flat, characterless. They're comfy enough, but they're not great.
Even the HSV ones I think look bland.

Which when you're looking at spending 30-80k depending on what type of commodore you want, I personally think it could get me better 'bang for buck' elsewhere in the Jap market.

I drive a VE at work from time to time. It's nice, drives nice etc. But I really think it's characterless.

I remember when I had my VP commodore, 92 model, just a V6 Exec.. nothing flash. Was nice enough.
I later bought an R33 Skyline... 93 model.. non turbo nothing show stopping...but... OMFG the build quality, interior trim, the doors/dash/instruments... everything about this car was immediately nicer, and felt years ahead.

Considering they were produced only 1 yr apart from one another the severity of the jump in comfort and features was amazing.

Even things like Toyota soarers, the features those things had were ridiculous.
Holden/Ford were easily a decade behind the times back then.

They've since caught up, but I feel that the aussie market still has a way to go.
I'm not saying mine or anyone elses holden is a piece of ****, I'm just giving my experience.

There's a number of other Jap type cars I've been in that have a better feel and nicer interior than a commodore.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
the only reason people should be upset that an aussie car isnt at the top is because it means aussie jobs are what will suffer... arguing about fuel consumption and power are pointless if people are losing their jobs because the government isnt doing anything to protect the industry in this country

It's wrong to say Govco isn't doing anything to protect the industry in this country. They are doing their utmost to drive it out! Our world leading Carbon tax is just another nail in the coffin of Australian manufacturing. The *stupidest* thing about it is that world wide emissions will at best stay the same but more than likely increase due to the extra freighters carting manufactured goods into Australia :bang:

There is much more behind the success of Asian vehicles in Australia than just fuel economy. For years, local cars have suffered from an image of lower build quality, less refinement, poorer equipment levels and higher fuel consumption. The Japs and Koreans learnt a long time ago that the majority of buyers want more than just cubes and grunt. The old idea that you needed a big car for a family died out with compact SUV's. Medium sized vehicles offer similar interior space to Commodores (note - similar, not identical), without the burden of being physically larger and heavier. They are easier to park, stuffed full of gear that buyers want (which is either optional or not available on local cars) - the list goes on.

The old tariff "protectionist" era was a huge contributor to the Japanese getting a huge head start in both Australia and NA. They had to build better cars cheaper just to compete in our markets. Meanwhile GM, Ford and Chrysler got lazy and poor quality hap-hazzard cars became the norm. People look back fondly on the old EH's, HG's & Q's etc but TBH - they were rubbish! I love how they look and compared to much of Europe they were very reliable but drive them back to back with some of the stuff coming out of Japan (and Europe) there was no comparison. This also goes with fit & finish. One areas that Japan and Europe did take a while to get right was interior plastics standing up to the Australian conditions.

I've talked to older people who think that even today, bringing out the Commodore was the worst thing that Holden ever did, that the last good Holdens were the HZ's, and then the WB commercials and Statesmans...I get the idea that in 30 years from now, a lot of us will be in the same boat in regards to the Cruze taking over from the Commodore.

No idea who you talk to but as an "older person" who remembers the VB from new - they were light years ahead of the H series sedans in nearly every way. I don't think Holden are fussed either way with regard to the Cruze. It's a bit of an each way bet - Trend continues and they have something to build in Elizabeth. Trend reverses and they go back to the status quo.

Reaper

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
It's wrong to say Govco isn't doing anything to protect the industry in this country. They are doing their utmost to drive it out! Our world leading Carbon tax is just another nail in the coffin of Australian manufacturing. The *stupidest* thing about it is that world wide emissions will at best stay the same but more than likely increase due to the extra freighters carting manufactured goods into Australia

couldn't agree with you more

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
it's a pitty that real aussie cars are being beaten by jap **** in their own country,but it proves how many little hair perming poofs are out there.

:rofl: Come on...bit rich coming from someone who owns a VR V6. For the record, I own jap crap and have no hair...nice try at being cool though.

It is no suprise Holden and ford are losing top spots, over priced and under performing vehicles to keep up with the stupid wage growth in this country, couple it with a carbon tax and it is doom. My new car was almost 30k cheaper than anything HSV (GTS/Senator) or FPV(F6/GT) has to offer and in a straight line will smash their entire line up..on a circuit even worse for the HSV/FPV line up. Holden and ford need a massive shake up and fast, reduce the car size, better the build quality and they would be off to a good start (oh and start going full robotics to get rid of an over paid under productive work force). The new rides interior cannot even compare to the g6et interior...doesnt say much when one is a sports interior and the other luxury...

VRCALAISS

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR CALAIS 3.8L V6
:rofl: Come on...bit rich coming from someone who owns a VR V6. For the record, I own jap crap and have no hair...nice try at being cool though.

It is no suprise Holden and ford are losing top spots, over priced and under performing vehicles to keep up with the stupid wage growth in this country, couple it with a carbon tax and it is doom. My new car was almost 30k cheaper than anything HSV (GTS/Senator) or FPV(F6/GT) has to offer and in a straight line will smash their entire line up..on a circuit even worse for the HSV/FPV line up. Holden and ford need a massive shake up and fast, reduce the car size, better the build quality and they would be off to a good start (oh and start going full robotics to get rid of an over paid under productive work force). The new rides interior cannot even compare to the g6et interior...doesnt say much when one is a sports interior and the other luxury...

if it weren't for the license restrictions it wouldn't be just a vr v6.