Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden no more: 600 jobs go, 10 yr support.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Maybe..... but...... I don't think PSA are any more virtuous than any other multi when it comes to shifting profits. Secondly, if GM were making any meaningful money they wouldn't have been moved on.
I really doubt PSA were such great managers or had such great foresight that they flipped an unprofitable Opel into a profitable Opel.

So, I’d guess PSA accounting principles were probably the only meaningful difference between them and GM. But that doesn’t make them more virtuous than other multinationals. All humans cheat on their taxes, some are conservative cheats while others are aggressive cheats and maybe PSA is a conservative cheat as compared to GM. Regardless, cheating is not a virtue :p

As to GM making meaningful money from Holden, by all accounts GM we hamstringing Holden from freely exporting its product globally, especially to the USA. GM wouldn’t be the first company to inhibit internal competition between their subsidiaries only to do themselves out of a market as a real competitor sells a better product. And GM wouldn’t be the first to sell a subsidiary and then see the buyer shift it into decent profit once the hamstringing was gone... but GM retired the brand and saved such embarrassment :oops:o_O

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I really doubt PSA were such great managers or had such great foresight that they flipped an unprofitable Opel into a profitable Opel.

Great, poor, mediocre, fkn terrible - they are all relative and probably several levels in front of GM when it comes to anything other than the LHD NA market.

So, I’d guess PSA accounting principles were probably the only meaningful difference between them and GM. But that doesn’t make them more virtuous than other multinationals. All humans cheat on their taxes, some are conservative cheats while others are aggressive cheats and maybe PSA is a conservative cheat as compared to GM. Regardless, cheating is not a virtue :p

As to GM making meaningful money from Holden, by all accounts GM we hamstringing Holden from freely exporting its product globally, especially to the USA. GM wouldn’t be the first company to inhibit internal competition between their subsidiaries only to do themselves out of a market as a real competitor sells a better product. And GM wouldn’t be the first to sell a subsidiary and then see the buyer shift it into decent profit once the hamstringing was gone... but GM retired the brand and saved such embarrassment :oops:o_O

I was meaning referring to meaningful money from Opel/Vauxhall. As for Holden - profit they made since the mid 70's (and there was a fktonne of it, especially when you stripped out all the royalties and other GM taxes along the way) was despite GM, not because of it. You are on the right track with exports. I did find it particularly galling that Holden was paying royalties on each and every Zeta car produced back to GM for the use of it's IP, even though the program was 100% funded from Holden budget and developed by Holden. Parts were subbed out to other GM engineering studio's but that time/resource was invoiced to Holden.

Hannenburger had assembled an elite group to sell Holden over seas, mainly in the middle east but also was starting to move into South America amongst other areas. They were very successful and starting to gather great momentum when GM decided Detroit knew best, retired Hannenburger, installed Mooney (with a brief to shut it down but the damn thing kept making money during the GFC that fkded that plan). Mooney did manage to cut a heap of costs by shutting down the export office and replacing it with some interns 1/2 a world away at Rencen Detroit. There is no doubt the GFC would have put a huge dent into exports either way but there is equally no doubt that a group of (not quite) college graduates 15,000 away trying to sell a product they have never seen in person had zero chance of getting it back to even a fraction of what things were.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Two realistic posts by members who know their Holden history .
What happened to the Holden demise blame game being attributed to ScoMo, Hockey, Abbott and all the other capitalist running dogs in Canberra.

Dave Buttner’s sudden departure due to ‘personal reasons’ now appears obvious that the final nail was not hammered in just last week. His buying a HiLux within days of quitting says it all.

In 15 years time, Holden will be remembered as ‘once upon a time’, like BMC/Leyland, if at all.

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
We t on a bit of a cruise this weekend

Attachments

• 0_IMG_20200224_103101_01.jpg
    0_IMG_20200224_103101_01.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 256

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Is anyone doing commodore cruises these days ?
Would be keen for Sydney cruise if someone organised it...

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
In 15 years time, Holden will be remembered as ‘once upon a time’, like BMC/Leyland, if at all.

With Holden, it will be 'memories', BMC/Leyland is still 'nightmares'...

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Is anyone doing commodore cruises these days ?

I do them on my own now and again but I'm thinking of giving it away as the fellow who organises them really shits me.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
With Holden, it will be 'memories', BMC/Leyland is still 'nightmares'...

Not if you're Ron Burgundy, his experiences appear to fall into the Leyland catergory.