Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden running out of parts already

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
the difference back then was holden never closed down, if parts run out or running low and demand was high Holden would make another batch, or re-order from the outside parts supplier
can you see the difference, once OEM stocks are gone thats it , its all closed ,gone, holden is no more as are the parts suppliers
When I bought my Berlina i used to buy parts from the local dealer to either replace a few missing badges or replace a couple of small broken things and they always had heaps of stock, then suddenly they had nothing and the reason wasn't suppliers it was the fact holden dealers no longer stocked those items as they were superseded and they didn't have to keep stock any more.

I have found that usually when the manufacturer no long stocks parts for certain models some one will step up and fill the gap.
Case in point the usual cracking of the manifolds in the vn usually the passenger side one, a foundry bought the molds from who ever produced the factory one and was producing the original factory manifolds albeit with a different name on them but with the same part number.

I think this is more a storm in a teacup because if you really want to look you can find replacement parts or if they are not available now they will be and while there are the dodgy aftermarket parts out there, there are also some better than oem parts as well.

Suami

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
When an owner had a VK in the 80s you clown where did he or she post ? Lol

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I was introduced to the wonders of the internet in 1989 ... :)

When I bought my Berlina i used to buy parts from the local dealer to either replace a few missing badges or replace a couple of small broken things and they always had heaps of stock, then suddenly they had nothing and the reason wasn't suppliers it was the fact holden dealers no longer stocked those items as they were superseded and they didn't have to keep stock any more.
Dealers probably had a culture, Back In The Day, of just keeping parts until they sold, the price would slowly increase over the years & hopefully recoup the cost of storage (plus also hopefully creating a repeat customer).
Was different between brands too, I could’ve bought a new plastic trim piece for a 1968 Volvo 142S in 2004 because that was before Geely bought Volvo and they had a culture of providing parts for enthusiasts to maintain their cars ... I was able to buy 1982-1985 spec plastic/rubber beltline mouldings for a car never sold in this country through the local Volvo dealer in 2003, manufactured by a Rare Spares equivalent in Germany as it turned out. But I think every manufacturer‘s dealers really only carry parts back about 10 years these days ... Benz and Porsche were the two that supported their enthusiasts in the late noughties, dunno if they still do.

Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Yes notice this as when I purchased new post O2 sensors for the Caprice V the Dealer told me there is only 4 left in Melbourne. Same goes when I purchased the DVD Remote he said only 2 were left. After this I can see some wreckers charging a million for simple parts.

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
When the alternator failed on my MY14 L77 I found that it was a Mitsubishi!
I checked out Repco and they had a Bosch on clearance. I thought that would surely be better, German over Japanese.
I just looked at the box now and it's made in Japan!
Got a great price though and it's working perfectly.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
When the alternator failed on my MY14 L77 I found that it was a Mitsubishi!
I checked out Repco and they had a Bosch on clearance. I thought that would surely be better, German over Japanese.
I just looked at the box now and it's made in Japan!
Got a great price though and it's working perfectly.
The Bosch is made in Japan ... the Mitsubishi is probably made in China. :)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

WTF?

Seriously, get over yourself and mind your P's and Q's or you will get a holiday.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
.. Benz and Porsche were the two that supported their enthusiasts in the late noughties, dunno if they still do.
They still do, and they are getting better at it.
With Porche as an example, you can still get original wiring looms for 50's models....
Interetingly, Porche did state a while ago that they will start to 3D print spare parts for some rare older models.
Porche also have a restoration service... ship then a rusted heap and a suitcase full of cash and they'll ship you back a perfectly restored car ;)

Suami

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
WTF?

Seriously, get over yourself and mind your P's and Q's or you will get a holiday.

Here’s one then you simple prick; **** off and mind your own business

Suami

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
So was I....but there were no forums to talk commodores were there ??