Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden VE Commodore SV6 3.6L LLT Engine Timing Chains Still Loose After Replacing!

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
Hi mate thanks for the reply, Yes i admit i went cheap and i hope its not going to sting me back :(

here is a link for the ones i got

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2841369...yYspiyzTNa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
why would you spend $150 on a timing chain kit when the labor alone is worth more than the kit???

Not to add salt to the wound mate but you've spent/purchased a kit for $150 when a genuine kit costs 5x more [around $800 - $1200] & you're expecting the cheap kit to last as long as the genuine kit???

have you put any logic or thought into that $150 purchase & you're expected outcome???

There's nothing wrong with buying on eBay as long as you buy a reputable product(s)

I'd go to GMH & buy a brand-new genuine kit...

Change the oil pump while you're doing it again for the 2nd time [so you do not have to change it a 3rd time]

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
why would you spend $150 on a timing chain kit when the labor alone is worth more than the kit???

Not to add salt to the wound mate but you've spent/purchased a kit for $150 when a genuine kit costs 5x more [around $800 - $1200] & you're expecting the cheap kit to last as long as the genuine kit???
Labor>parts is most jobs these days, particularly with 30 minutes minimum charge and labor at $100/hr.

Also, the genuine kit can be had with idler gears and gaskets for under $600.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Labor>parts is most jobs these days, particularly with 30 minutes minimum charge and labor at $100/hr.

Also, the genuine kit can be had with idler gears and gaskets for under $600.
Under $600 from where?

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
Under $600 from where?
There are few different kits available, base kit etc with oil pump, w/o oil pump etc

but my point is & was quite understandable regardless of how much a genuine kit sells for

& i think i was quoting dealer prices [GMH] - or rough estimate prices

I did say...
I'd go to GMH & buy a brand-new genuine kit...

Change the oil pump while you're doing it again for the 2nd time [so you do not have to change it a 3rd time]