Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden VE Commodore SV6 3.6L LLT Engine Timing Chains Still Loose After Replacing!

Mon-aro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Wagon, VF ute
ok its 2:18AM here and i cant sleep! as i keep going back and forth to my shed and looking at the bloody chains! and an idea popped up, so if i modify the tensioners and make them abit longer just to put constant pressure on the chains would that work? and i mean by longer by 1mm to 2mm max! I will explain how later i just need an opinion….. hopefully by the time i wake up in the morning i will find some answers before i start…..

Belmont1982

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Commodore, 2008 BMW X5, 2002 VX Commodore
Machter, Dayco, Austral :( yes i have got quotes
yep machter do good stuff. just got a power steering pump from them. good prices

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
The oil seal is correct, just looks different because it hasn't been compressed. When installed it will sit higher but once tightened down it will flatten out

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
yep machter do good stuff. just got a power steering pump from them. good prices
Would avoid Machter for chains. Might be worth the gamble for general stuff outside the engine, but it's more rebranded no-name stuff. It's good your pump works, but "Genuine Machter" is just as good as random sounds put together.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I think that you're thinking about this too much OP, IMHO if it was a tensioner issue it would rattle constantly. It could be something as simple as the new chains have really sloppy tolerances between the links and pins and it goes quiet after they've been lubricated, or that the "better" chains retain oil on their surface better.

If you think the tensioners are the issue, put your old ones back on and see if that makes a difference. Just be aware that if you modify them "badly", you risk having the chain eat into the guide.

Mon-aro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Wagon, VF ute
Ok i just noticed there was a washer/spacer inside the tenaioner? and the hole is smaller than the 3 holes at the bottom of the tensioner, so i thought i would put a washer with bigger hole at least to suck more oil… photo to show my washer….

Attachments

• 74EB7688-5FA2-4A3E-83E5-27BAAA05994F.jpeg
    74EB7688-5FA2-4A3E-83E5-27BAAA05994F.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 75

Mon-aro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Wagon, VF ute
Just to keep everyone updated, chains still rattle at the start, and now i have engine lights one which indicate timing chains, so im guessing im gonna have to redo them again…. oh well live and learn i guess!

ElDubya

Mad As A Meataxe
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Commodore V6
And? ........ What was the outcome? Have you bought shares in a timing chain factory yet?

Mon-aro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Wagon, VF ute
And? ........ What was the outcome? Have you bought shares in a timing chain factory yet?
OMG! YOU MUST BE PSYCHIC!

I have purchased a Machter kit along with an oil pump, and installed them today late arvo, gonna finish the job tomorrow morning as it got dark and didnt want to annoy the neighbors.

I have installed the chains to the marks and i did few revolutions and the bloody primary chain got about a half tooth slack in it! this is my 4th and last attempt so im gonna wait and see tomorrow hoping the slack is meant to be there

Attachments

• 66AC87B5-0A78-4406-8EC3-64708D1DB56E.jpeg
    66AC87B5-0A78-4406-8EC3-64708D1DB56E.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 76
Last edited: