Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden warranty coverage + Recall question

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Start saving your money to get it fixed, that's my advice.

Michael-08-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
Sure they don't pay for materials but Holden still lose out on labor costs. In saying that if holden have screwed up, why should we be out of pocket...? If you were unaware of a MAJOR problem, that if you knew of would have made you reconsider the purchase than refund or fix. Lemon law. Plain and simple.

dimsimnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SV6 Z SERIES
Hi all, I am about to fight tooth and nail with Holden Australia as I to have been stung by the timing chain issue with my 2007 Holden Captiva LX Petrol. Currently I am waiting for a call back from Holden which I expect tmrw and need some ammunition to back up my case.

The local mechanic advised me of the following codes to supply to Holden:

P0300, P0017, P0016

I have a full log book history and am the second owner. I brought the car from a dealer at 99000km 2 years ago (so that would be just on the 5 year manufacturers warranty) which is no doubt why the previous owner sold it, now it sits on 140000km. A few months after I purchased the Captiva I got the engine symbol on the dash took it into the mechanics but they could not fault it putting it down to a dirty sensor or something; the car was fine or so it seemed. 2 years later I am here about to embark on the little person against Holden.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Fight them - its clearly a design fault that Holden AUS ignored when these were being replaced under warranty in the US in the Cadillac that used this motor. Here in NZ a design fault like this is covered under the consumer guarantees act. I suggest you contact an Australian consumer advocacy organisation and with them approach Holden Australia hierarchy directly if you get nowhere with the dealer.

Holden here eventually fixed mine when my car was 5 years and 90k's but it was a struggle. Basically a timing chain should last for the life of the engine and the GM made the wrong design choice when using a lighter chain to quieten the engine which resulted in stretched chains.

Good luck.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
Hi all, I am about to fight tooth and nail with Holden Australia as I to have been stung by the timing chain issue with my 2007 Holden Captiva LX Petrol. Currently I am waiting for a call back from Holden which I expect tmrw and need some ammunition to back up my case.

The local mechanic advised me of the following codes to supply to Holden:

P0300, P0017, P0016

I have a full log book history and am the second owner. I brought the car from a dealer at 99000km 2 years ago (so that would be just on the 5 year manufacturers warranty) which is no doubt why the previous owner sold it, now it sits on 140000km. A few months after I purchased the Captiva I got the engine symbol on the dash took it into the mechanics but they could not fault it putting it down to a dirty sensor or something; the car was fine or so it seemed. 2 years later I am here about to embark on the little person against Holden.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

suck it up princess, car is 7 years old, get over it and pay for it, its out of warranty clearly.

Basically a timing chain should last for the life of the engine and the GM made the wrong design choice when using a lighter chain to quieten the engine which resulted in stretched chains.

Good luck.

No it shouldn't last the life of the engine ffs, an average a timing chain is changed every 120,000km to 160,000km depending on the engine and the way its driven and serviced.

Its a moving part that is under tension, they stretch and wear out, thats life.

You treat the car like ****, miss service intervals, **** oils etc etc etc they are going to #### up faster.

dimsimnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SV6 Z SERIES
suck it up princess, car is 7 years old, get over it and pay for it, its out of warranty clearly.

No it shouldn't last the life of the engine ffs, an average a timing chain is changed every 120,000km to 160,000km depending on the engine and the way its driven and serviced.

Its a moving part that is under tension, they stretch and wear out, thats life.

You treat the car like ****, miss service intervals, **** oils etc etc etc they are going to #### up faster.

hmmm... you must be confused between timing belts and timing chains... this aside

its a known design fault with the engine... hence product is not fit for purpose... end of.

if anyone is a princess its GM/Holden for not fixing these as they occur without question.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
For starters, the warranty period is 3 years not 5.

Secondly, the car is 7 years old.

Lets just let that point sit for a second.

Known issue or not, the car is two models old now and nobody could REASONABLY expect Holden to fix a problem on a car that old, known issue or not.

Should somebody with a VL be able to walk into Holden and get their CAS replaced because that was a common and known fault at the time? Or the seat because they used to auto recline at the time? Or what about the floor on the VH that used to crack...should i be able to lob up at my local Holden Dealer and demand they fix it because it was a design flaw that has failed?

You bought a second hand car, you're dealing with second hand car problems. The issues with the chains were well documented and you should have done YOUR due dilligence before handing over your money instead of now expecting somebody else to cough up for your mistake.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
If it's a known issue then you shouldn't have bought it. If it's out of warranty then it's out of warranty, op should be happy they covered most of the cost. The timing chain was a part that wore out with time and needed to be replaced. Do you expect them to replace your tyres and brake pads when they wear out? I think not.

dimsimnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SV6 Z SERIES
If it's a known issue then you shouldn't have bought it. If it's out of warranty then it's out of warranty, op should be happy they covered most of the cost. The timing chain was a part that wore out with time and needed to be replaced. Do you expect them to replace your tyres and brake pads when they wear out? I think not.

the point is that it was a known issue to gm/holden
warranty is one thing but consumer law is another
and no, no one expects a manufacturer to replace consumables like tyres and pads
unlike a timing BELT a timing CHAIN is not scheduled service part, the notion that they should be routinely replaced at 120-160k's in a properly serviced engine is nothing short of ridiculous.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
the point is that it was a known issue to gm/holden
warranty is one thing but consumer law is another
and no, no one expects a manufacturer to replace consumables like tyres and pads
unlike a timing BELT a timing CHAIN is not scheduled service part, the notion that they should be routinely replaced at 120-160k's in a properly serviced engine is nothing short of ridiculous.
Nothing is infinite. On a 7 year old car one would and will argue that it is through wear and tear that a part has failed and not a manufacturing error as was happening in half or less time on the other engines.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Is a timing chain a serviceable item, no.
Should it last forever, no.
If it is a known issue like you say, why did you buy that make and model?
FG falcon diff bushes are a known problem, after the warranty period stiff ****.