Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Home spray job on my vr commodore

Andrew1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore 1994
Nop i didnt do the bonnet who ever owned the car befor me sprayed the bonnet with a spray can so it looks real **** im geting a new bonnet cause that one is all bend and ####ed. ive only sprayed the two side guards and the front bumper. hopefully geting a new back bumper nexted week and some more paint and spraying the rest of the car accepted the bonnet as i wont be buying a new one for a couple of weeks.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
just remember... matt black fixes everything..

good start thou as said above.

it does???? damn i will have to stick to broken then, or find another method.

Well done Andrew, coming together nicely. As far as matching the paint goes, if you go back to the same dealer you bought this paint from, he should be able to go pretty close, especially if he hasn't needed to change any of the tint bottles yet.

In the paint supply shop, paint is mixed according to the paint code.. they get a certain colour base, depending on the final colour you want, and add specific amounts of various tints to it to get the final result. They get these quantities straight out of a book/computer.

Whether it matches your car or even the last tin of paint you bought is a bit of a lottery though. They can get it close but there are many variables. Matching the paint on a car is an art, as with time the colour changes. A very experienced colour matching panelbeater can often get closer to the original paint colour than the guy at the paint shop, especially in the case of custom paints which cant just be mixed by number.

Assuming your paint supply place hasn't run out of and subsequently changed one of his tint bottles, he should be able to provide you with an exact match of what he sold you last time. Make sure you buy enough to paint the whole car :) If he has changed even one of the tint bottles though, its possible for the paint colour to turn out differently, because even the tint bottles arent as consistent as you might suppose... even the base paint they add the tint to in the first place can be variable.

rk has a vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 Vn sedan early model
Any Scratches sand right back to bare metal using some 120, then feather it out using some 180. If you still find you have scratches in the metal it's self then use some bog to fill them. Allow for the bog to dry and go hard, then use some 80 to sand it down and some light 120 to feather it out.
120 would be to much use 320 on a dizzy might need a couple of pads.... Like a whole box

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Thanks mate I know how to out bog in an Sand it out I've done alot of spraying aswell as I work at a fiberglassing join..

if you work as a spraypainter why would you need advice on how to spraypaint???

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
if you work as a spraypainter why would you need advice on how to spraypaint???

he said back that he doesnt spray normal paint.

congratulations on your spraying effort. not bad for a first time.
keep up the good work.

Mk2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais S2
commoVT went very quiet very quickly.

Andrew1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore 1994
Thanks guys it's good to hear some good feed back :)
As to getting the paint that I have that's going to be really hard because the paint came with the car and I have no idea what paint shop he got it from. So I was thinking if I get the colour code of the car and then paint the parts I have painted back to the orgian colour of the car might turn out better any ideas Fellas?
And yeah commo hasnt said anything haha.

Cheers Andrew

r2e2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5L ute
i think its fair to say that he didn't actually attempt this

Commo VT your a tosser, you have only painted wiper bagged out Andrew1994 who has done a damm good job for a first effort. Instead of being a knocker shut up.

Good on you Andrew1994 your job looks great might be an idea to do the whole car or paint on the car so you can blend it in but apart for that great jo

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Pretty good for your first time. Your going to have to save some money and buy another 2 or 3 liters of paint so the entire car has a uniformed finish.

And as a rule of thumb, if your doing bog work "if you can feel it you will see it" so make sure you run your hand over the sanded bog work with your eyes closed to help with your feel.

Good luck

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Nop i didnt do the bonnet who ever owned the car befor me sprayed the bonnet with a spray can so it looks real ****

well in that case, you cant make it any worse. the guard does look tonnes better than the bonnet. only thing i can suggest though is just filling up the dents etc before painting it. if you go through all the effort of painting, you will look at that dent forever and itll piss you off.