Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Homemade air duct (with pics)

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 V8 Berlina Wagon A4
HAHAHA.. Bunnings Racing Team

Why not get a MCAI which costs 35 bucks and just cut 2 holes in your airbox.. Saves the stuffing around..

10/10 for effort though.

MattK

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ V6
??????

So are you seeing improvements in fuel ecconomy ??

Anyone - Before and after ...

Matt

an-D

Reaction score
Website
www.streetwagons.com
Members Ride
Nissan Silvia S15
i cut out the air intake thing on my old bumper and had a pod behind there.

i agree with VXWAGMAN, go to holden spare parts and ask for the bottom half of the monaro box with the 2 holes and then just get a pipe to help direct the air from behind he headlight into the box

Optimus_Prime

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 Clubsport R8
Just a little update for anyone wanting to try this out - its been however long since i spanked in the homemade cai & ive had absolutely no problems. No water getting in on rainy days & no problems what so ever with heat on hot days.

As for fuel economy i am usually getting 600kms+ from a tank of BP98 (i always fill up when it just gets under 1/4 tank & kms are around 575, distance until empty usually around 140kms... but thats never acurate). Thats travelling around 80kms a day on the (Perth) freeway with no other mods besides 10psi pulley upgrade. Best ive had before was around 450kms, but i was only travelling about 30kms+ a day & not on the freeway.

I doubt it makes a massive difference really, but it does let more air in and thats all it needs to do.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
VXWAGMAN said:
HAHAHA.. Bunnings Racing Team

Why not get a MCAI which costs 35 bucks and just cut 2 holes in your airbox.. Saves the stuffing around..

10/10 for effort though.

The thing is the VT boxes already have two holes. Unless the MCAI you cut the holes bigger.

emmtee83

Reaction score
Members Ride
'84 VH SLE
home made intake

thank goodness i came accross this thread! i made mine over the weekend, it's done wonders for my performance!
the only other thing i perhaps expanded on was instead of having one pipe for intake, i've got 2, don't know how much of a difference this is between one intake or two.
anyway, this is how i made it....
made this piece from some pvc pipe, a 'Y' type joining piece with a 22.5 degree bend, and some 45 degree elbow joints...
PIC000038.jpg
then sprayed it with heat proof flat black...
PIC000039.jpg
cut a hole in the side of the air filter box, fastened it with a butterfly screw, led it down behind the radiator and fastened it below the car with zip ties, the view inside the bonnet...
P5080016.JPG
the view from below the car....
P5080023.JPG
the car has got so much more pick up from stand still, and for a longer period of time, and i'm saving fuel-wise too! i've only gone 1/2 a tank of LPG and noticed about 50km saving in my tank so far.
All this for about an hour's work and $30 at Bunnings....Thanks to the legend who posted this idea!! :thumbsup:

Is there anybody else that has 2 intakes and has noticed a difference between one and two?? Comments would be great! :D

Last edited:

sno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
these are good and all but have u had problems with puddles, rain, bugs and exterior noise?? very interested in the mod myself..

bradvt98

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt executive
this is a wicked idea i'd love to it myself but i'd probably stuff it up no one has said weather they've had legal problems with it yet