Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Homemade air duct (with pics)

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
has anyone done any comparrisons of a home made job compared to something like the SS inductions one for a VT ? I'd be thinking the homemade job would actually do better due to the fact its drawing nice cool air from under the car instead from over the radiator.

Been looking at CAI for a while and obviously if a loose change job from bunnings is going to equal or better the $400 SS inductions one then I know which way I'll be going :)

Just use the Monaro Cold Air Intake sysyem with the second hole mod.
Its a sticky in this thread in LS1 modification and development forum
It will work jsut as well as any one you can buy or produce your self.

zandahar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTSS 5L
what about for a V6 or V8 5.0 L though ?

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
what about for a V6 or V8 5.0 L though ?

i believe the air box set up in the v6 and 5.0 l are the same as the LS1, so it should work.

`daj0pe

Reaction score
has any1 tried the wide mouth design rather than the round hole?

wilko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5L Manual Wgn
Hi all, excellent thread, just wanted to doublecheck on what ur saying Murdoch. I read the thread under LS1 as well and it lists the 3 part nos. but I have a Vt 5.0L and I think the airbox is not the same as the one ur all talking about(i could be wrong tho), so do I need to buy a monaro airbox to go with the headlight scoop and do u know if this will all fit my beast?

cheers

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
Hi all, excellent thread, just wanted to doublecheck on what ur saying Murdoch. I read the thread under LS1 as well and it lists the 3 part nos. but I have a Vt 5.0L and I think the airbox is not the same as the one ur all talking about(i could be wrong tho), so do I need to buy a monaro airbox to go with the headlight scoop and do u know if this will all fit my beast?

cheers

I reckon it would fit.
My air box would be the same as yours on the bottom halve anyway. That where you attach the MCAI shroud..
Maybe the only problem would be where your air cond lines run? Got any pics of your engine bay? Never seen a 5 litre one thats all.
Or otherwise just give it ago, the parts don't cost a great deal. If it doesn't fit, well you could try to modify it to fit.
Give it a crack.

wilko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5L Manual Wgn
Ah cheers..i am just of to Holden to pick up the goodies! I will compare the airboxes to see if i need to get that as well :). will get a pic later..done or not!

wilko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5L Manual Wgn
Ahaha well i went to get it and they had all the bits except the shroud...which is the most important bit lol!! Had a good look at the monaro air box and while they r similar the screw/support spots r in different places so it'd be a bit of messing around. The hole in the bottom of my box atm wraps round one corner rather than just on the front panel and the air temp sensor would need to be added to the monaro box...wouldn't be too hard but i think i am gonna wait til they get the shrouds in and just get that and try and adapt it to fit my box..if all else fails i will go for the sort of DIY system outlined on this thread..cheers..:)

wilko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5L Manual Wgn
infront of the airbox seems such a tangle of pipes and wires any shroud would be pretty hard to get in anyhoo lol

Attachments

• vt airbox 001.jpg
    vt airbox 001.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 1,267
  • vt airbox 002.jpg
    vt airbox 002.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 1,270

redcv6

supercharged intercooled
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute, diesel landcruiser 100s, hq panel van
ok so i'm ready to try this, but as i don't know what kind of long term effects the heat will have on the plastic pipe i've decided to go one step further and was able to get my hands on stainless steel pipping with a polished finish (like looking into mirror lol), now my only problem is i don't have the tools to bend pipe that thick, so i was thinking of buying a elbo like what is used on turbo pipes, if this dosn't work, well im sure ill think of something, ill let you know how it turns out, and i will post pics. wish me luck lol.