Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how do i get a harmonic balancer off an engine out of car?

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
and i thought i can use the large 3 claw one ty R_J_K ill do it slow. what if i pull it slightly out and put some sort of metal under the claw to the acutal crank it sits on then pull it out to keep that bearing in side?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
s-l1600.jpg

These power bars work wonderfully. Bit on the expensive side though for a once off use if you cant borrow one.
Is there any way of putting the flywheel on, even if it has a few busted bolts just to hold it there?

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
in the spare engine all blots were snapped so i had the thread doctor come out he removed 2 and said its un repaiable so asked him to stop

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Just remove the sump and lock up the crank with something like pipe wrench long as you don't need the crank.
breaker bar and 2m pipe should crack it if you can keep the motor from tipping over while you pull.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I might have missed something but a rattle gun turning the engine over on the end of a crank bolt instead of undoing the bolt seems odd. The compression of the engine should provide enough resistance to rattle it off.

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
today looks like an ok day ill get out and see how i go

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Take out a spark plug and push a whole lot of rope into the cylinder then turn the engine over until the piston can't go any further and then try and rattle of the crank bolt.

Edit: also, chances are the threaded holes in the balancer that are used for the puller will be filled with crap and probably a little rust so the bolts won't screw straight in.

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Take out a spark plug and push a whole lot of rope into the cylinder then turn the engine over until the piston can't go any further and then try and rattle of the crank bolt.

Edit: also, chances are the threaded holes in the balancer that are used for the puller will be filled with crap and probably a little rust so the bolts won't screw straight in.
That's better than pulling off the sump, don't know why I didn't think of that as I do that when I rebuild lawn mowers to undo the crank bolt.

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
problem is atm i dont have a rope handy ill have to go get one if it spinns i have not tryed as yesterday was raining on and off so i took a miss as to going out and doing it (Don't want to get sick)

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
well rope down the spark plug hole dose not work too well i now have rope stuck in a bolted down head, Fed rope down spark plug hole like suggested worked 1st time 2nd time its now stuck dont know how didnt fray or damage rope 1st time the rope now wont pull out and looks like im up for new gaskets and bolts :O (FYI DO Not Ever Stick A Rope Down Spark Plug Hole No Matter Who Tell You)