Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how do i get a harmonic balancer off an engine out of car?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Try turning the crank slightly it might open the valves enough to release the rope.

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
deffenently done that and thread it back into the cylinder to try release it hows this mace charged me 245 whole vrs kit with bolts express post to me i asked them just now for new bolts and gasket and they want 290 WTF Mace???

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
rope is out balancer changed all done now idrk if the rope idea helped as getting it stuck in there realy made me blow my top as its 700 into a 1000 motor and mace wanted 290 to be able to take the head back off few! so i put a small and thin flat head down next to the rope moved it off what ever it was caught on and got the rope out.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
well rope down the spark plug hole dose not work too well i now have rope stuck in a bolted down head, Fed rope down spark plug hole like suggested worked 1st time 2nd time its now stuck dont know how didnt fray or damage rope 1st time the rope now wont pull out and looks like im up for new gaskets and bolts :O (FYI DO Not Ever Stick A Rope Down Spark Plug Hole No Matter Who Tell You)
Did you get H.B off ? Is the rope stuck around the Valve? Maybe rocking the Piston back and forwards will release it. Maybe the rope you used was to small in diameter.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
He had it sorted he said, three hours ago Big Trev.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
He had it sorted he said, three hours ago Big Trev.
Yeah I see that now> I didn't see it, lol, Don't think had much choice of the rope idea, hope he didn't pull to hard and bent the valves. Maybe filling 2 cylinders with oil with plugs in next time might help.

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
never pulled too hard as i didnt want to even wreck the mace head gasket befor putting the heads down i did a valve stem seal replacement on all of the valves and took off all carbon and checked at night with a light to make sure they all seated and no light passed through.

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
Bit late now, but used and ebay puller (like the one in the picture). Worked well but only came with two of the 3 bolts I needed. Found another in my bolts tin.
But I had to make a tool to go inside the crankshaft nose for the centre bolt on the puller to sit on. I couldn't find a "step" in the crankshaft node for a socket (etc) to bear on. Got a bolt that was thinner than the crankshaft both thread. That bottomed ok in the crankshaft. I had to grind the head off the bolt though. I couldn't use the actual crankshaft bolt as the head is too thick and the puller with the supplied bolts was too small.