Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do i tell the difference between a VF Evoke or SV6?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
All states would have similar systems though in Victoria I believe it’s a little different to NSW.

In Victoria, when a vehicle insurance claim is made, if it is uneconomical to repair it is classified as “repairable writeoff”. If certain structural damage has occured it is classified as a “statutory writeoff”. The insurance company notifies the registration authority of the classification who then place it on the national NEVDIS database. So anyone anywhere in Australia can check on writeoff status ;)

Repairable writeoffs can be fixed and registered but proof or the repair process (lots of picture or intermediate inspections) and proof of parts purchase must be provided. All this is checked by an engineer in a VIV process (so it adds $$). That’s why you would never buy an already repaired unregistered “reparable writeoff” as it’s impossible to then pass VIV without all the parts purchase proof and repair proof you need to provide.

Statutory writeoffs can only be used for spare parts unless the vehicle had been dunked in salt water (or fresh water for some time) in which case it’s crushed...

There is a legal requirement that vehicle writeoff status must be disclosed prior to sale but such should never replace a buyers due diligence via Rego authority checks, PPR checks and proof of ownership checks (rego is not proof of ownership).

Interestingly there are codes associated with the writeoff status that indicate the type and severity of damage. So with some understanding, a buyer can find out what was damaged. As such they could get a good deal but it had better be a good deal as it’s expensive to repair, expensive to have inspected and then normal registration costs on top... lots of effort... many cars on the market... why bother...

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
no, I wouldn't do it personally. I really enjoy cars in their standard form. And now that Holden is going, I'd like to see as many maintain their provenance as possible. if I wanted something Different/better that much, I'd go and buy it.

In retrospect, my question was silly, personally, I have never done anything like that because I have been fortunate enough to tick the option box or buy the spec level that I wanted.
But, if I was unable to afford the higher level spec, the explorer in me (when I was younger) would have done modifications like that.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
In retrospect, my question was silly
My teacher told me there is no such thing as a silly question... embarrassing maybe but not silly :p

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
My teacher told me there is no such thing as a silly question... embarrassing maybe but not silly :p

OK ………... Irrelevant. Nonsensical. Ill judged. Pointless.
Not embarrassed. Just thought that after I posted it ……... "Dick-head, you have never done that, why think of doing it now ?"