Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do you sell it when it's time to go?

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Market is on a downward spiral.....Been in the news for the past few months.....
Yep, and spending quite a bit of money on the car doesn’t help when it comes to sell… oh well

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
There seems to be quite a bit of high km SV6 (300km plus) selling privately and at dealerships too.
Depending on condition, they may pay up to 3k if they wanted to buy it I would assume.

Can someone chime in on how dealerships come up with a valuation for a used car?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I just looked at Carsales for VE Berlinas, and was surprised at how cheap some of them are, perhaps buyers look for Commodores and disregard them. The interiors look better than the lower spec models.

300 plus ks on the clock and mostly solid but of course showing it's age in some ways.
Trans seen better days.
What are the bad points ........... 5 speed, chains ?

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
In the end, I looked up CarSales and worked out what I thought was a fair price based on age and mileage. I then advertised it on CarSales at that price. For a few days (maybe a week?) there was absolutely no interest as far as I could tell. Then, about a week after it was advertised, I got one interested party, then another. Then a friend found out I was selling and was seriously interested too (they said that they would buy it). Anyway, I figured that I’d do the sales on a first-come first-served basis. The first person who first enquired saw it and liked it, and of course asked for a discount. I pointed out that I had two other serious buyers in queue. He bought it at my asking price. It was pretty easy in hindsight.
Well I guess it comes down to the types of people who buy on Carsales, versus Gumtree or Marketplace, which brings out the real tyre kickers (ask me how I know lol)

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
What are the bad points ........... 5 speed, chains ?
Luckily the Berlina's came with the more reliable 4spd auto, however chains are a problem on all V6's VZ onwards...

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Can someone chime in on how dealerships come up with a valuation for a used car?
They usually look at Redbook, and then your car itself to determine the value of your car... However, they do tend to lowball A LOT, and sometimes it's just better to sell privately and get a little extra coin...

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
This is why I am not looking forward to selling it.
You could also look into putting your car through an auction house, such as Grays if you don't want to deal with those cheap Commodore stereotypes...

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Luckily the Berlina's came with the more reliable 4spd auto, however chains are a problem on all V6's VZ onwards...
I didn't know about the 4 speed autos, and I meant this specific VE chain condition.

As for 'how to sell', my limited experience is 3 cars via the old paper Trading Post, which were rather painless and price satisfied, and my old HQ Monaro via Carsales, which generated responses from a combination of potential thieves, lowballers, know nothings and genuine. Ended up selling it locally via gossip.

And a good description of the car in your own words, rather than the Carsales' generic "Imagine driving away > This car has airbags > This car has 12 cup-holders > This small car is an ideal first car ................ "
Having bought a couple on Carsales, the seller who knows about their car and its history, is more likely to get a sale from me than one whose knowledge only extends to "It is a Mazda / Toyota / Ford".

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
And a good description of the car in your own words, rather than the Carsales' generic "Imagine driving away > This car has airbags > This car has 12 cup-holders > This small car is an ideal first car
I hate those people that put very little effort into their descriptions, as it kind of tells me they don't really care about the car that they're selling...

Also, photos and visual presentation are crucial! Many people take photos of their car when it's dirty, in a poor location (such as a full shopping centre carpark), in poor lighting, or a combination of the three

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
There seems to be quite a bit of high km SV6 (300km plus) selling privately and at dealerships too.
Depending on condition, they may pay up to 3k if they wanted to buy it I would assume.

Yep, they talk sh1t.