Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How long can a VF be stored for without battery starting problems?

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
its the acid leak i would be concern about easy under the bonnet with boiling water but in the boot it does happen i seen it under the carpet and thats why i would pull the battery out if the car not going to be use for a while

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
its the acid leak i would be concern about easy under the bonnet with boiling water but in the boot it does happen i seen it under the carpet and thats why i would pull the battery out if the car not going to be use for a while

It that case the Utes are even worse as the battery is located in the cabin behind the passenger seat.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
It that case the Utes are even worse as the battery is located in the cabin behind the passenger seat.

yes mate just means there a bit more to remove and use bicarb soda if you see any acid

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
If all things are in order, I don't think you will have a problem.

Because I spent two periods in Europe with my sons for soccer, I parked my Commodores (six weeks for my VE MY12.5 SV6 and over three months for my MY14 SV6). Both times, the cars started on the first crank. They did sort of cough and splutter a little for the first five seconds, but then behaved as if nothing had changed.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V v6 S1
Noco or Ctek chargers can be left on car indefinitely as in all winter season or summer if you have snow equipment.

We use Ctek in our motorcycle business. We are moving our 4Ctek s to Noco over the next few months.

Doesn't boil battery,revives tiered batteries.
In your case will mean better than when left battery o return of 6 week holiday

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Quick report on my VF Battery after 9 weeks

The car was started 3 times during the nine weeks, at week 2, 5 and 7 approx. and taken on short runs, each about 7kms.

Before my first start, measured voltage under the bonnet and on dash screen.

DMM 11.9v Dash 11.7v

Started the car, cranking a bit slow I felt, but cranked OK.
Ran the motor for about 10 minutes, Dash read 14.9v.

Engine off, DMM 12.54v
After a 90 minutes break, DMM 12.39v.

Took car on a 14km run, DMM 12.5v after the run. If battery is used, eg boot opened, the battery voltage drops to about 12.11v and slowly creeps towards 12.3v or higher if left for long periods.

On the road, the car has been charging up to 15v and staying around 14.8/14.9. Crank speed has improved. No signs of acid moisture in the boot battery enclosure and the battery terminals still look pristine.

Thanks everyone for your information.

WeeGee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG S-Pack Ute M5 (L27) and VF2 SS A6 (LS3)
Look up 'Transport Mode' and this is the best. Takes the car into hibinated sleep for min battery drain. The process is somthing like this... with engine running, apply hazzard lights and the press the stop/start button for approx 10-15 seconds until transport mode comes up on the dash display. Please search elsewhere for exact process.

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
I stored a low kay Magna for 8 months but also fitted a trickle charger connected directly to the battery. Started first go upon my return. The only problem I noticed is that the tyres didn't like sitting for a long time in one spot as there was a bit of bumpiness from them for a few days until they settled. I fixed the problem by going a couple of pounds over the recommended PSI for a couple of days and doing some long runs. One thing I would recommend is that you put a bit of fuel conditioner into the tank before you start the car as petrol can and does go off after a long period of storage.

Question for all of you... I have an Evoke wagon which is ex Victoria Police and, as such, it has two batteries in the load area...the standard unit and one opposite. The second battery is still in place but all the connectors which ran from it are now empty. Will having the second battery mean longer life for both batteries?

lockwood

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MSE
can't find any reference to Transport Mode in my handbook, or anywhere else relating to the VF11