Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how many vr ss, hsv enhanced models were built?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The enhanced models (VS in particular and I'm sure the VR was the same) were not produced as a complete standard package like the Clubsports, GTS etc. At the time, people who were purchasing a new Holden V8 car could request that it be HSV enhanced as an extra cost option. I had this enhancement done on my VS Calais at the time it was purchased new. I'm not surprised that HSV didn't keep a record of the numbers of individual car models that were enhanced, as it was only ever an additional-revenue option that they stopped doing (I think) during the VT series, probably because they felt it adversely impacted on the sales of their standard (more expensive) models.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
when i insured mine with shannons they told me that 500 were built
very happy with mine
Photos!!! Of your maloo, condition, kms , number of owners etc?
This book states
20180705_185455.jpg

VG &VP LS utility =54
VP Maloo= 34 +15 5th anniversary
VR Maloo = 156
VS Maloo series I= 173
VS Maloo series II =280
VS Maloo series II at VT ( series III) = 388
and VT Maloo 10th anniversary = 30
There is a Facebook club VR-VS HSV Maloo
Could go on there and ask as well , Aaron , the guy who started it is a wealth of knowledge ( he hunted high and low for ages for his series III ) . Plenty of other people on there as well someone else might be able to confirm this or have more info .
I am pretty sure that they did not reset the # count between at least series II and series III, which would explain why some are such a high number .

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
HSV Enhanced was replaced by Holden By Design (HBD). HSV enhanced could mean literally anything.

lord alan

Reaction score
Members Ride
19930 vr ss manual hsv enhanced build no 55
i have a vr ss hsv enhanced and had a vr clubsport before that ,the ss is a better driver car and if you check performance figures on automobile catalog you will find the ss is the better of the two, check out 0 to 60 mph or 0 to 100 kph.
you will get a surprise. also the vr ss hsv enhanced are a lot rarer than the clubby ,makes them more valuable

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
The enhanced models (VS in particular and I'm sure the VR was the same) were not produced as a complete standard package like the Clubsports, GTS etc. At the time, people who were purchasing a new Holden V8 car could request that it be HSV enhanced as an extra cost option. I had this enhancement done on my VS Calais at the time it was purchased new. I'm not surprised that HSV didn't keep a record of the numbers of individual car models that were enhanced, as it was only ever an additional-revenue option that they stopped doing (I think) during the VT series, probably because they felt it adversely impacted on the sales of their standard (more expensive) models.

I had a VR Berlina 'HSV Enhanced'.. ticked the box when I ordered it
but
then got caught in a bunfight between Holden and HSV. HSV insisted
the car come with an airbag drivers wheel (and pax airbag) ... with
HSV logo of course! PLUS rear IRS (which automatically included ABS)
coz I had ordered an LSD too ( ...not part of a HSV enhanced package)

I didn't tick those boxes when I ordered the car and wasn't happy
when the purchase price increased LOTS! In the end, the car got
delivered as HSV specified but I only paid the extra for IRS (inc ABS)
The airbags and HSV wheel were free... gratis

Pity I sold it, not many manual VR Berlina 'HSV enhanced" were made I would guess

lord alan

Reaction score
Members Ride
hi there smitty ,since you actually purchased a hsv enhanced commodore and i would assume have the knowledge can you tell me was there a basic package as in the starting point of the enhancement options and of any further options thereafter available as there seems to be a lot of opinions on what those cars were fitted with ,some say floor mats only was a hsv enhancement option which is a bit hard to believe
regards alan

lord alan

Reaction score
Members Ride
hi there smitty ,since you actually purchased a hsv enhanced commodore and i would assume have the knowledge can you tell me was there a basic package as in the starting point of the enhancement options and of any further options thereafter available as there seems to be a lot of opinions on what those cars were fitted with ,some say floor mats only was a hsv enhancement option which is a bit hard to believe
regards alan
been looking at numbers and i believe there was about 165000 vr commodores made and about 2500 were hsv vr models ,now then my ss hsv enhanced was made 4 months into production starting and it is number 55,if that was the rule of thumb with the build numbers it would equate to less than 400 made in total which would seem plausible,also the enhanced package was a 185kw car plus .so makes it a much more valuable version of that model.have a look on the web to see if you can buy one and grab it if you can ,dont buy a common hsv model.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
At the end of the day, an SS is still an SS, and that will determine its value. Options may or may not make it easier to sell.

At the end of the day, an HSV is still an HSV. End of story.