Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How much fuel used when gauge on empty?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Hi, I normally refill before the low fuel warning light comes on, which is about 65L for me.

The old VS II and VY II would also come on with about 8L of fuel remaining.

However, one day I ran well past low fuel warning and. planning to go a reasonable distance straight away, filled it well past the first click. I was a bit shocked to find that I had added 75L into the 73L tank.

It is 73L at the first click, thats how they give the tank volume now. You are not meant to fill past the first click as there is meant to be room left in the tank.

mcgd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
What about when you use the engineerers mode (holding select button in while starting up.) There is a real-time fuel usage and fuel remaining in litres. Does this dissapear when getting too low.

That's nifty - I didn't know about that. Is there any way to get it back after switching to another display mode, except by turning the ignition off and on again?

mcgd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
My Vz was fine as is My current VE... where has Holden admitted having an inaccurate fuel gauge ?

You used to get distance to empty even after the low fuel warning. For me at least, on earlier models, it seemed to be pretty accurate right down to just about empty. But seems enough people complained that they ran out of fuel by relying on the distance to empty, that they just disabled the display of distance to empty when fuel got low.

Instead, they could have made it accurate enough so that people could rely on it (as Ford did, I understand), but instead they decided to stop showing distance to empty when fuel is low. Seems to me that's saying "ok we've given up trying to give you accurate figures when the tank is nearly empty".

According to a dealer, that's how it's made and there's no option to go back to the behaviour of earlier models (but experience suggests that many dealers don't know too much about some of these things).

It's a minor whinge really - it's more about what it suggests about their attitude than anything.

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
the odd thing is on the gauge in the VE shows low fuel when you have an 1/8 of a tank left...... I drove my V6 once for 90km on the low fuel warning and it still didn't come up as "very low" can't remember what it took to fill though..... was close to 70 litres. I nearly **** when i had to pay for it.... fuel was about $1.60 back when i did that.

mov

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V IGNITION
That's nifty - I didn't know about that. Is there any way to get it back after switching to another display mode, except by turning the ignition off and on again?

No, once you go out of Engineering Mode, the only way back is to switch off and on again.

Gorrell72

Reaction score
Members Ride
my09.5 SS
did you no if u click the left scroll bar in and turn the ingnition on it shows u heaps including how much fuel is left hope this helps

Gorrell72

Reaction score
Members Ride
my09.5 SS
when the fuel light comes on theres about 12l left in the tanks