Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How the hell do i get the car to shift to 4th gear at high speed?!

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
You're asking a lot from a car that was only ever designed to be a family transport. An Ecotec VY might get to 200, but it won't stay there for long, even modified, without developing serious mechanical problems as you are already encountering.

If you need to travel at those speeds, perhaps another type of car would be more suitable? Not a solution to your problem that is easy to take, but perhaps a more practical one.

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
You're asking a lot from a car that was only ever designed to be a family transport. An Ecotec VY might get to 200, but it won't stay there for long, even modified, without developing serious mechanical problems as you are already encountering.

If you need to travel at those speeds, perhaps another type of car would be more suitable? Not a solution to your problem that is easy to take, but perhaps a more practical one.

i hear you and you are right, the vy is "obviously" not made/programmed to go at those speeds. Thats why im asking what can be done to it to make it handle those speeds. Im not asking how to get it there without any mods...as it obviously wont be able to. Another important question is why it wont shift to 4th gear after 160. And when i ask that question, i am looking for an intelligent answer from someone who actually knows exactly why. Meaning it requires a technical answer, not an immature one like im getting from some people.

If a nissan 1.6 or a corolla 1.6 or a mazda 2 can get to 200 with 3 full size adult passengers and a boot full of luggage, why is a 3.8 engine with no passengers and an empty boot not able to?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Delco gave you the most probable explanation. TPS position + VSS + RPM means the ECU is deciding the parameters aren't right to drop into OD. Either that or your trans is broken/on its way out. The tune should improve those shift variables/parameters, but personally I doubt it will help enough, physics and kw's are physics and kw's.

If you say those 1.6's were autos I'm going to call you full of ****. A sludgeomatic is always the speed problem. Your engine is connected to your wheels by fluid.

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
The answer is simple, 4th gear on the 4l60e is overdrive and it will never stay in that gear as long as you're racing the engine

it was never designed to be a sport car it's a family , same as if you put it in 1st and WOT it will still change gear

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
The Statesmans exported to UAE came with engine oil coolers and uprgraded trans coolers. Maybe try a luxury barge. You clearly have the wron car for your purpose. I think an Aurion would also be another good affordable car

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
if you say those 1.6's were autos I'm going to call you full of ****. A sludgeomatic is always the speed problem. Your engine is connected to your wheels by fluid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mohi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy commodore executive S2
If a nissan 1.6 or a corolla 1.6 or a mazda 2 can get to 200 with 3 full size adult passengers and a boot full of luggage, why is a 3.8 engine with no passengers and an empty boot not able to?

Mine vy fully stock has been able to do 208km/hr with three adult passengers.Dont know whats wrong with yours..