Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How To: Changing Differential Oil (VZ)

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Just did my diff oil because I was not sure if my mechanic added oil to top up or drained in the past. 120,000 ks on clock my diff is an LSD
My oil was pretty decent, certainly nowhere near as black as the pictures on previous pages.
Anyhow, my expenses were getting a 30 mm socket ( $18.50 from Bunnings for Sydchrome) and a $30 oil pump from Supercrap, plus 2.5 ltrs Penrite PRO GEAR 80W-140 (Full Syn.) ( with 25% off Repco voucher $41)
All up around $90 and I know my axle is in good shape. So I am quite happy

Last edited:

G-Mac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
If I don't have a level surface is it ok to drain with the rear lower than the front?

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
So I am going to do this soon as I can’t see anything in the service records that indicate it’s been done before but does a 2006 VZ Calais have an LSD I would assume it does but can anyone confirm or how would I check that.

Btw fantastic write up :)

sixes

UTEPILOT
Reaction score
Website
www.utepilot.com
Members Ride
VY SS II M6 Ute
Hop under the car and look at the tag that should be hanging off the fill plug. It will have LSD stamped into it if it is LSD or check the sticker on the side (if not worn) as per IPCOlsenVZ's post.

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
Hop under the car and look at the tag that should be hanging off the fill plug. It will have LSD stamped into it if it is LSD or check the sticker on the side (if not worn) as per IPCOlsenVZ's post.

Thank you very much I'll look tomorrow

xxjagerxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ ute
What a great thread! I tackled this job yesterday, bit of a squeeze getting under there with FE2. The old oil was seriously degraded, who knows when or if it had ever been done before? The Nulon Ezy squeeze bags worked well ($20 each Supercheap) and can feel a significant drive line improvement.
diffoilchange.png

Reactions: Lex