Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to connect steering wheel controls to aftermarketr stereo

Bob129

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
Can confirm, the above is true for VZ, just wired up my new head unit, didn't want to pay $100 for that aerpro adapter.
My head unit was programmable, so changed the VZ Mute to Answer/Hang up calls.

VX commodore S

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Commodore S
hi guys.. here is the easiest way to connect your existing steering wheel controls.for VTVX with existing controls.. to your after market stereo..all you have to do is locate 2 wires on your factory radio plug. the 2 wires you need are (brown with white dots) witch is your signal wire.and the other is (black with a white stripe) whitch is your ground wire.. all you have to do is connect your (key1) wire from your new srereo to the brown wire and connect your radio black ground wire from your new stereo to the black wire with whith white stripe.. i have some pics here for you with all connections .. i hope it helps
Thanks man it worked for me.
You have done a great job

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Just to clear it up key 1 & key 2 have nothing to do with ignition as suggested, they are the steering wheel controls inputs it also has a ground.
On the VZ you should have a solid brown which goes to key 1, the black with yellow is the ground, I read also depending on head unit brand the controls might not work properly if this occur then the key 2 will need to be joined together with the ground wire.

If the harness hasn't got the wires then your better off removing the steering column cover and run new wires from the harness in there.