Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to divert power steering fluid

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
you dont want any restriction in your cooler lines 4.8mm sounds pretty small i just run hose clamps no worries with them if your pipes are flared i run double clamps like holden did on vn just as a backup for when fluid is cold and thicker

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
I cant be sure about the auto, as far as temps and pressures are concerned. Too date i have never owned an auto car, so never had to work on one. You may have to look elsewhere for that info. As far as pressures, i would tend to agree with delcos comments above. 4.8 is alot smaller then 7-8mm. Smaller diameter tubes have a much smaller flow compared to bigger ones.....like the reduction in size is not linear to volume flow, it has a multiplying effect.
Electronics is fairly resilliant to heat, but to a certain degree. i would think the ecu would handle temps around 50 degrees, if your mounting it direct on the firewall, i would put some heat insulation betwen it and the wall, or even better have some insulation material on the wall then mount the ecu slightly off it on some sort of stand off so air can flow under it, if heat is a serious problem there. You wouldnt want it in the glove box, it would be in the way there.

Fuel pump, what i would do possibly is buy one of those little line taps at the auto shop. Use it to rig a light bulb(or even just a flying lead to wrap around your volt meter probes) from the violet fuel pump wire, through the bulb or volt meter, then to earth. This will light-up then when ever there is power on the pump. This will let you see when you are losing the power. From that point you should be able to make some deductions for fault finding. I very much doubt its the ecu. Very few propblems are ecu related. They are generally very reliable and dont do "odd" things like that, unless someone fugged the program. They will die altogether usually if they fail.

91luxy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 commodore&vs v6 91 hilux 4x4
ha m8t i have just noticed that ive been starting the engine with no efi relay in so that 12v feed im giving to the fuel pump circuit must have solved some power prob also i cant get the check light working

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Yes , that 12v feed to the fuel pump will backfeed to the efi cct. It would only kick in however after the engine got cranking for a bit and pulled the oil pressure switch in. Did you notice at all wether it took 1 or 2 extra cranks to fire up?

The engine light is earthed by the ecu, It opens and closes a cct inside to earth the bulb to make a power cct when its needed. So try running a bulb(or test light is better) dircet from the battery +12V, Then join the other side of the bulb to the F5 terminal on the ecu or as close to it as possible.

Little tip, If yo need to access a bit of the BR/W wire on the ecu F5 terminal(and ur not using a pointy pronged test light). Use a ciggy lighter or match to heat the insulation, then lick ur fingers and grab the hot bit of insulation and it will just peel off, leaving a bare piece of copper to wrap a wire around. Saves cutting and joining, leading to other problems later. Also dont heat it so the insulation turns to charcoal or catches fire, it only needs a little bit of heat to get it to peel off nice.
Other way is to use a Pin, and stab it straight through the middle of the wire so it comes out the other side, then wrap around that.

91luxy

Reaction score
Members Ride
yer the engine does take a bit fire and some times needs to have some start ya b to get going so i guess thats the oil pressure switch kicking in so how do i fix this
ill try the check light again but im sure i got it right last time with no good result maybe ive not been using F5 but not shore

91luxy

Reaction score
Members Ride
ha i was talking to a auto gearbox pro today and he said if i get 1ltr per 15s or 4ltr per min from the oil cooler to auto return line than it will have plenty but if it does not than i will run the risk of lock up from the torque converter so ill have to run a test of some sort to see what its giving out
i have fitted a temp switch (davies craige) to the coolant for the Thermos to kick in at 40c/120c temp so will be good for the beach and low range dont know wy the ecu is not doing it by its self but dont need it now

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
To fix the efi relay problem, Is there any reason you cant just install the efi relay?? My understanding of your post was you had just left it unplugged!! Theres obviously somthing else wrong there, is there??

91luxy

Reaction score
Members Ride
hay VrWagz1 im back i have installed the efi relay and it does not get hot now but still have the same prob
now that the engine is running i should get the check light working but i have had no luck with it i know that ecu side of the light is earth and well is there a bulb that is
i should get in order for it to work

91luxy

Reaction score
Members Ride
also the engine is not as responsive now after fitting the fuel pressure reg vac line
the motor is irregular in Idell and it cut out when i applied throttle a few times and other times it works (well bye ear ) very responsive
but always has a very fuely smell
this is not road test though so i really would love your opinion on the check test results if i ever get it going

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
does your check engine light work when the engines running if you are relying on the oil pressure switch to power some of the ecu by accident it may go when running but not when just on ignition ide say you have something wired wrong still