Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to - Heater Core Removal and Hoses Photos Thread

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is the screw going out towards the firewall or down towards the floor?

Could you take a close up?

No probs at all.

Orpheus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Acclaim
It's exactly like the screw in the bottom left of the manual fig, but instead of it being accessible to me like that one is, its on the other side of the plastic, so like say there's a wall of plastic and to get to the screw you have to go behind the wall, but i can't do this because of the metal section that i was talking about before. if the metal section wasn't there i would use my right hand and go behind the small plastic wall and unscrew it. say you took that bottom left diag and turned it around so its not facing you, it would be exactly like that, it screws in the same direction (up) and secures the hvac in same way, I think i can take a pic but it would have to be tomorrow as its dark and pretty late.

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeh take a pic tomorrow. I think i know what you mean, but the pics would help. Also take a few of the whole dash section so i can see if theres anything still there that you should have taken off.

Orpheus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Acclaim
WPN-42L i went to see a friend i know from Holden today and he told me how to do it, it was so bloody simple and I can't believe I missed it. anyway I got the hvac/HC out, i can see it was leaking. I'm going to give the area a good clean tomorrow as well as well as taking out the evap and giving it a good air dry. did you also clean your evap if so how? no water right?

I'm the paranoid type so I'm thinking maybe I stuffed the evap when i was trying to pull out the hvac since it was loose in the bonnet, what if it cliped onto the firewall as i was moving it. heh i hope not but i don't know if i should replace it?

is this was mechanics do when they say they clean out the ac, i mean i know they don't take out the dash but the sprayis basically cleaning the evap right? i seen it advertised today at holden, that you should do it every year.

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Good work mate!! Give the area a good wipe down with some citrus degreaser and it should be sweet.

Regarding the evaporator, i have no idea as i didnt touch mine. Maybe while you've got it out take it to an AC guy and his opinion.
If you're really paranoid and think you've damaged it just replace it. Beats putting at all back together only to find out you gotta take it apart again lol.

smoken_VS

Perth wa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 Vx Commodore sedan
anyone tried running radiator stop leak thru your heater core system to see if that temp fixes it?

GEMLUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec
i did this, this weekend. took about 11 hours all up and that was me doing it myself would have been much quicker with 2 people. all up i spent $130 inc core, tap and coolant. one thing that took me a good half an hour to find was that there was a bolt holding the HVAC to the bottom of the windscreen sill just left of the steering column, but after it was out the HVAC slid straight out. I couldnt find a way(or didnt have the right tool) to get that stupid plastic clip holding the rod to the hot/cold dial so that had to come out with the HVAC. 'luckily' i didnt have gas left in the system so that made it a bit easier too. now my heater is nice and warm just in time for the next round of cold mornings.

thanks for the write up
James

MidnightStorm

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Commodore Executive Series 2
Hi all, Just brought a VX series 2 commodore. Looks like i will be doing this job soon as i am seeing water drop down from floor pan above transmission. If only i knew there was a problem before i had the aircon regassed and radiator flushed with new coolant.
Anyway, what i wanted to know is, is there anything i need to know about the airbags before attempting taking the dash out of my car?
Any help would be appreciated.

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
Hi all, Just brought a VX series 2 commodore. Looks like i will be doing this job soon as i am seeing water drop down from floor pan above transmission. If only i knew there was a problem before i had the aircon regassed and radiator flushed with new coolant.
Anyway, what i wanted to know is, is there anything i need to know about the airbags before attempting taking the dash out of my car?
Any help would be appreciated.

Mate water dropping down from the trans tunnel is completely normal after the Ac is running, so I wouldn't be doing anything about it. A common symptom of a leaking heater core is water leaking into the passenger foot well when the heater is on.

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
Are you sure that's not the normal point where condensation from the evaporator drains out of the vehicle?
Midway above the trans, passenger side..
Watch your coolant level and see if it changes.
Catch the water dripping in a white plastic container and view it's color. Coolant; green (or red), condensation; clear.