Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to 'negotiate' cars for sale?

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
Mmm yeah i like the look of that one, but the fact it needs 1k for a roadworthy and is from next town over from broady just seems a little sus. Another one that is quite suspicious, but it actually seems legit is an advertised car, vx 's' sedan manual for $2800 as hes moving to the UK (supposably...)
I know what your thinking but ive had replies from the seller and am trying to arrange to meet.

Its likely that theres something up with it, but he says its immaculate and runs like a dream?
i guess only time will tell on that one...

justincredible

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 3.6 Calais V
sounds like your still getting hung up on the price. "this one is more expensive than that one". You set the price!!!
Lets say if you were selling a car that you thought was worth a minimum of 5,000 wouldn't you test your luck and price it at 6,000 or something? or would you just assume everybody that needs a car actually has a brain? All I am saying is that don't decide which car is better based on price. if you have 3 cars in mind, look at them all and try and bargain all of them to a price that you think is deserving.

best of luck.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
sounds like your still getting hung up on the price. "this one is more expensive than that one". You set the price!!!
Lets say if you were selling a car that you thought was worth a minimum of 5,000 wouldn't you test your luck and price it at 6,000 or something? or would you just assume everybody that needs a car actually has a brain? All I am saying is that don't decide which car is better based on price. if you have 3 cars in mind, look at them all and try and bargain all of them to a price that you think is deserving.

best of luck.

Exactly, You will rarely ever buy a car for exactly what it has been advertised at. My mate just sold his VX acclaim for $8k, advertised at $9.2k, see? Look at every car in your price range, and as Justin said, work out what is wrong with the car, and then make a comprehensive offer on that car, based on what you have found. A car is worth what someone will pay for it, not what the owner perceives it's value to be. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Junny

purrrrrr
Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII Maloo + shitty painted vp
not all modded cars are treated like ****... My last car had a few mods in it and it was my baby...
I still rather my old VY spack ute over my maloo =[

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
Turns out that shifty vx was an auto anyway, oh well!

And i understand what you guys are saying about price, just cheaper ones are more appealing as, well they are gonna be cheaper lol.
But the way i see it il be able to get a vs ute under 9k, so im really just after the one in the best condition in that price range.

In your guys opinions, do you reakon id be able to afford a vu auto under 9-10 grand? id consider an auto if it was a vu, or is under 9k not likely going to happen?

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
No. Go a VS for that price. Hands down

JAKE-26

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Exec
Yeah ive seen a few under 9k, but for that price they're probably pretty average condition.
i like the vs's anyway, and with the few grand i have leftover i'l be able to make it look siick :D

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
Yeah mate go a VS. You may find a VU under $9k, but it would be in pretty poor condition. I had a 2001 VU ute with SS bodykit, auto, no other mods other then 17" wheels, and I got $10K TRADE IN for it from a dealer 5 weeks ago, so chances of finding one with a sale price < $9k would be slim.