Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HOW TO replace headlining

tsimira

Reaction score
Members Ride
'91 VN V6 Executive
sircruisealotVS said:
nice job tsimira,we all told you it wasnt very hard to DIY...and now you get that warm satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself and it looks a million bucks better than it did before.

hehe yes a HUGE thanks to everyone who helped me out and also gave me the confidence to do it!

And to return the favour I should list a few of the tips that I found made it easier for me...

1. Once the board is out of the car, before you start scrubbing off the foam, get some stickytape and glad wrap and cover the velcro patches on the back of the board so they stay clean and dont inadvertantly get gummed up with foam (I gummed one up, so learnt that by trial and error)

2. I didnt use a wire brush as I didnt have one (would have otherwise), but I did find that a bathroom nail brush was useful to remove the foam in the corners and tricker areas, and also for getting rid of any smaller sticker bits of foam. (I just used a plastic broom for the rest of it lol)

3. Have help to hold the fabric up and straight while you apply the glue, I didnt and found that at the edges it creased a bit (and once it creases they stay there!)

4. Use a soft clean paint roller to smooth out the fabric as you are gluing it down. It helps to apply a gentler pressure more evenly than your hand can. I didnt try it as I didnt think of it until later, but a small paint sample roller might also work for the tricker area's around the front and where the handles go.

5. When gluing it down, smooth from the inside out and dont apply the glue then lay it down in one go- instead put smaller areas of glue and stick it down as you work along the board.

6. Most importantly, dont drop a huge blob of glue on the floor of the garage, not notice its there and realise you had your bare foot in it as was drying. (lucky it was still tacky so I just now have patches of glue on my foot that I'm slowly removing :p :rolleyes: )

Other than that just be gentle with the foam backed fabric as it creases and crushes really easily.

toodles! :D

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
looks good...well done :)

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
tsimira said:
6. Most importantly, dont drop a huge blob of glue on the floor of the garage, not notice its there and realise you had your bare foot in it as was drying. (lucky it was still tacky so I just now have patches of glue on my foot that I'm slowly removing :p :rolleyes: )

LOL, been there done that except with superglue. Had to wait almost an hour before my sister got home to help me out (nail-polish remover is good stuff to have lying around, failing that, pure acetone).

str8up

Reaction score
Members Ride
5spd VN SS
Gave it a go today and I ended up gluing the fabric on the wrong side of the cardboard :realangry :hit: :b:

I think my iq just halved

reecey

Reaction score
well done tsimira im gona tackle mine preety soon, and ill keep in mind to make sure i glue the fabric on the right side LOL str8up, bl there buddy.

At least others who read and do theres will remember not do that, in a way you saved others from humiliation. :D

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
str8up said:
Gave it a go today and I ended up gluing the fabric on the wrong side of the cardboard :realangry :hit: :b:

I think my iq just halved

Spend too long sniffing the fumes from the glue huh? :rolleyes:

Still the best way to learn is through mistakes, and if all possible someone elses mistakes. So thanks for helping us all out with that one.

str8up

Reaction score
Members Ride
5spd VN SS
lol, glad i could be of help :p

Wingnut0021

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Commodore, 1997 VS Statesman II V8
Sweet, looks a lot better then my mates staples! My mums just had foam ripped out and glued on without it and now all you can see is hundreds of little pits in the fabric.

missmcudd

The Bee Sting butterfly
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Mini Cooper
good work! looks awesome

DaRiO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
awesome diy thanks... gotta do this to my sisters vn :)