Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HOW TO replace headlining

M

Mr Invisible 55

Hood Lining

I used to a vp series 2 wagon and the hood lining was falling down on it so i tryed many things to kepp it up eventually it got too bad i was really dreading the job because it sounded horrible but when we got the hood lining out it wasnt actually hard but i might add i had a helping hand lol.
but any way while we had that out it gave me a chance to fix the leaking windows in the far back
the ones in the tail gate area turns out holden dosent put rubbers on them so i put some proper sealant on them lol.
neway we got it all looking godd again stuck it back on and then three weeks later i sold the car to a mate and 1 week of him owning it a guess what the windows started to leak again and then 2 weeks after that the damb hood lining started to come down but my mate isnt worried about the hood lining as it isnt to bad atm but he would like the windows fixed so i gues im just gunna have tp put better sealant on em newayz catch yas l8r oih and p.s i like the new material looks great but make sure it dosent fall down again as vn - vp have a habbit of it
:drink:

M

MavVP

Yeah i did mine about 18 months ago and it's still going strong, it's come off a little bit near the drivers side visor but nothing bad
I wasnt very happy with the original colour so i just went with some black

Attachments

• DCP_0962.JPG
    DCP_0962.JPG
    498.3 KB · Views: 1,417

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
Mr Invisible 55 said:
p.s i like the new material looks great but make sure it dosent fall down again as vn - vp have a habbit of it
:drink:
if the right glue (upholstry heat resistant) is used on the job it should last pretty much forever...you also make sure the two surfaces ( the material and the board) are spotlessly clean for maximum bonding when glued.

sparra_gump

VP DRIVER
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive 3.8 sedan
I did the same thing except cost me $10, i just washed the lining in wool wash so it didnt shrink, pegged the fabric to the cardboard, then painted the contact adhesive on bit by bit til i was done, mine looks shmick.

Well done!, i can see many DIY people attempting their linings now, better than the $270 i was quoted without labour costs for a new one.

SG

kymbo28

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR S Pack
How did u get the board off the roof? does it just pull down or do you have to lever it with a screwdriver?

grumblebum

grumblebum
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executive 1990
headlining repair

congratulations on your piece about reparing your own headlining
It was very well done and straightforward.
I have to do my own and I was wondering how to go about it.You have allayed all my worries about the job,as if someone like you with your lack of experience can do it, then anyone can !! No offence intended there either and I will be looking out for your further adventures !!
Cheers
:air:

vnv88u

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz v6
well done but for the people that think they cant do it
it cost $110 to get it done in the rite color as everything else in the car

I

Insanesinner

what is the best brand and type of glue to use. Will need some soon :(

tsimira

Reaction score
Members Ride
'91 VN V6 Executive
thanks for the kind words peoples :)

grumblebum said:
<snip>
if someone like you with your lack of experience can do it, then anyone can !! No offence intended there either and I will be looking out for your further adventures !!
Cheers
:air:

hehe none taken ;)

kymbo28 said:
How did u get the board off the roof? does it just pull down or do you have to lever it with a screwdriver?

It is just attached to the roof with velcro, so after you loosen the trim around the edges and lever away the plastic pillar cover thingys it just comes down with a pull.

Insanesinner said:
what is the best brand and type of glue to use. Will need some soon :(

I used a 1lt tin of Selleys KwikGrip Heat and Water resistant contact adhesive. I dont know if its the best but it seems to have done the job!

:D

str8up

Reaction score
Members Ride
5spd VN SS
i bought 1 litre of the glue from an auto upholster he only charged me $10 and I sprayed it on with an air compressor and spray gun, worked a treat :)