Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HP estimate?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
you cant use a 308 cam on a VN head cos they have a different valve setup. i.e. 308 is intake/exhaust intake/exhaust exhaust/intake exhaust/intake whereas VN's are intake/exhaust intake/exhaust intake/exhaust intake/exhaust.

and attached just for a lOL
253.jpg

edit* cant read crappy pic. it says you will get 385HP at 7000 rpm...

vkwalks39

NUCKING FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 / VH V8 / VR V8
cool, that attached thing you put up....yep!! lol no idea lol......thanks for telling us about the vn heads set up to early heads.

vkwalks39

NUCKING FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 / VH V8 / VR V8
ARI is that for 253 or 308? the 385hp....If it is cool...This is the first time I've done something like this to my engine. My aim was to get more than 320hp from 253/308...Thanks heaps. If i have more questions i know who to ask, mate thanks again Cheers Walks... have a good one

vkwalks39

NUCKING FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 / VH V8 / VR V8
Um i forgot to put in a 1" spacer to, add that to my list as well....lol.....

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
It's pretty simple really, anything a 253 can do a 308 can do better. Nothing "wrong" with a 253, apart from the fact Holden made a 308. Also, the more power you want to chase, the more angry the smaller engine will be. More cubes is sort of a free kick so to speak.

A well set up naturally aspirated street engine shouldn't have much trouble making 1 HP per cube.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Um i forgot to put in a 1" spacer to, add that to my list as well....lol.....

what intake manifold you using? and what kind of spacer is it? if its the open mouth kind and you have a dual plane manifold, itll actually make things run worse. i dont know for a fact why, but i tried it on my combo and it ruined all low down torque really noticably.

spacers%20(340%20x%20173).jpg

the one on the right is useless with a dual plane, simply cos' the air/fuel rushes through your venturies, then has an argument when it gets to the split in the planes as to who is going down which side. for a dual plane you need the type on the left (but the pic is for a holley and wont work on a quaddy) so all it does it extend the length of the runners from the carb buttterflys to the opening of the intake.

vkwalks39

NUCKING FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 / VH V8 / VR V8
ARI, manifold at the moment is a stock 4 barrel one... Later,probly edelbrock performance or torker, Which one dont know! lol the one that works well with the combo...Any suggestions would be great!! Running Quadajet 4bbl, size i dont know....

Spacer, I dont know the brand, cause, I've order it it hasn't come in yet! :bang: mine you I've ask this about 1 1/2 weeks ago!! bloody autopro!!!
So do you reckon the combo will go alrite? Ari.

Spent a whole day at the royal childern hospital, man that place is HUGE!! for my boy...Who's into v8's, he saw my cousin vh brock, he had the biggest smile that I've ever seen.......Cheers Jason :spot on:

vkwalks39

NUCKING FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 / VH V8 / VR V8
Blown v6 hatch, cool mate, I think the 253 is a underdog, theres nothing wrong with them, to me they are a v8. ITS 253 that thing is a beast....Who knows one day I'll buy a 308, while I've a couple 253 laying around I might as well use them. Cheers Walks Have a good one!

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Blown v6 hatch, cool mate, I think the 253 is a underdog, theres nothing wrong with them, to me they are a v8. ITS 253 that thing is a beast....Who knows one day I'll buy a 308, while I've a couple 253 laying around I might as well use them. Cheers Walks Have a good one!

Don't use that car as an example....It's not even a 253 anymore, it's a 292. YT -3 high port alloy heads, Enderle mechanical fuel injection, big solid cam, 13:1 compression. Hardly your run of the mill 253, it's nearly a 308 and it's got some good bits on it.